Seriously .... they don't even hear me!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by woobie5, Jan 16, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jan 16, 2010

I'm a Kindergarten teacher and for some reason lately my kids just chat, chat, chat all day long. LIning up, transitioning, at their desk while working, in the hallway etc, etc. I realize I must've failed somewhere. Any ideas? How can I correct this? It's like they don't even hear my voice! HELP!

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 16, 2010

Change the way you are getting their attention. Try whispering, singing, chanting, something that you haven't done before. Mix it up.

4. tenndon

tenndon Rookie

Jan 16, 2010

You also may want to look at your total classroom management plan. Are the consequences appropriate to the situation? Are they real or just threatened consequences? In other words, do they know you mean business when they are rowdy? Also, what are your rewards for good behavior? Whole class and individul.

Just some thoughts.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 16, 2010

How long ago did they start being this way? Next time, really try to nip behavior like theirs in the bud before if really gets out of hand, like it seems to be doing now. I'm not trying to lecture you, it's just a friendly suggestion! :)

How about findind a strange noise, such as a lion roaring loudly & record that & play it to really get their attention? You should be able to find all kinds of sounds on the internet. Kids these days are so immuned to hearing bells, beeps, & things of that nature.

Also, aren't there usually a few parents in kindergarten rooms helping out? What do they do when the kids are out of hand & running all over the place? Do they just stand there & not get involved? I'd get them to help round up the kids to get their attention towards YOU.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 16, 2010

I'm convinced that when we talk, kids hear the "wa waaaa wa wa wa" that the Charlie Brown characters hear when their teachers speak.

Have you tried a bell? Or, I do "clap once if you can hear my voice." "Clap twice if you can hear my voice."

If they're completely out of control, try something like reward tickets for the few kids who do what they're supposed to be doing. That can snap the rest into shape really fast.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2010

I teach seniors, but Whole Brain Teaching's simple "Class/Yes" has worked wonders for me! You say "class," they respond "yes." Change up the way you say it: classy-class gets yessy-yes - they answer in the manner that you set. Whisper, vary the pitch, sing it. It's a great little technique.

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2010

I think it is so funny that you posted this; I subbed in a kinder class yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing. I felt as though I wasn't even there. They remained in their own little world and just ignored me half the time. It was kind of funny, in a way, how they were so preoccupied with their situation. They were not "a class" but 25 individuals" with their own agenda. I felt so useless by the end of the day. I wonder how their teacher gets anything accomplished.

9. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 26, 2010

I've seen some kindergarten teachers have the students walk down the hall with their finger on their lips. Its always worked for me.

I use it with the older kids when they've been rowdy in the hall. Even first graders don't like more than one trip somewhere like that.

There is also a hall chant done before they go anywhere:
    I'm standing up straight and tall
    I'm looking toward the hall
    My eyes are facing forward
    My hands are at my side
    I give myself a great big hug
    I'm ready for the hall

(I think I have the lyrics a bit off, but that's the general idea)

*Never seen a parent helping out in kindergarten

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 26, 2010

My class is the same way lately...I've just been cracking down on their behavior. I haven't been giving warnings. I figure they know the expectations by now, and I'm just sick of giving reminders. I'm also trying to be more "pleasant" in my demeanor (even when disciplining), because I think I have been showing my frustration.

I'm also starting a new reward in the beginning of February. If they don't have to write in their behavior folder at all, or 1 or 2 times per month, they get to have indoor recess at lunch time, and eat lunch in our classroom. If they have to write in their folder 3 or more times in a month, they don't get to participate. Kind of like "3 strikes and you're out." I'm going to come up with some sort of fun name to call the "event," but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'm hoping this will motivate them a little more!

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 26, 2010

Like heavens54, I thought the same thing after today. Tomorrow will be the 3rd day of me in a K class. My normal M.O. is being cool, calm, etc. But I was ready to slap myself silly after working in this class... I would've loved to say no to tomorrow too, but I am the resident sub at the school. And the teacher I'm subbing for really wants me.

But I feel the same way. They don't necessarily walk over me or anything like that. But still... I'm left feeling kinda impotent in terms of getting through to these kids. Just know that you aren't the only one, I guess is my lesson. :p

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010