Serious Issues with IWT Groups

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by SweetMsNC, Feb 2, 2007.

1. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Feb 2, 2007

Hi everyone,
    I would like some advice for a problem that I am having. My grade switches classes for IWT time. (Independent Work Time) It so happens that my class receives all the 1's, and behavior problems from the grade. These children are all in serious risk of being retained in the third grade due to poor progress in math and reading. During IWT time, we primarily focus on reading and comprehension strategies. My CT gives the kids worksheets and it always seems to be the same rountine everyday. Read, answer, the questions, etc. I would really like to incorporate some different activites into the classroom to boost reading and comprehension. Ideally, I want to get away from worksheets. These kids are not benefiting from just answering a couple of questions from a worksheet. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do during this time to help these kids out? I would like to do some learning centers or things of that nature. Any ideas?

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 2, 2007

There are some great books out there that have wonderful ideas for helping with comprehension. (as well as other areas)
    *Alternatives for Worksheets (yellow cover)
    *More Alternatives for Worksheets (purple cover)
    I don't know the author but they are GREAT books.

Incidently, why do you have to switch kids for work time? Is it just for reading or certain subjects?

4. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

It is just for reading.

5. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Feb 7, 2007

IWT.com

If you have a basal reader, try to pull some ideas from there which are not necessarily worksheets. For example, doing research on a theme, reading to a partner, reader's theater, writing on a theme. I agree that worksheets are the least effective, particularly when students are working independently. Try http://www.independentworktime.com for some ideas on setting it up.