Serious gap in my math classroom-what to do?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Cheekyone, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Cheekyone

Cheekyone Rookie

Sep 11, 2016

So, I'm a new teacher, planning my powerpoint and curriculm, worksheets, warm-up sheets, and grading seems to be taking over my life as it is. But I have a huge gap in ability in my precalculus class, where some fast students complain that they already learned the material. What I currently do is try o type up challenge extra credit for them, I have no other way to manage that, but it adds more to my work load. My coach wants to get me to differentiate, but he says I'm not ready yet. What do you do? Help?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2016

Can you do a 20% Genius-hour type extension project? I have always wanted to do this but have never had time to initiate it.

4. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

Dec 23, 2016

No wonder you are feeling the pressure being in the first year of teaching, and that too, Maths. maths teachers always have lot to do.I was in same position as regards to different level of intelligence of students. It was extremely unmanageable. I overcame it by having made small cards in which I compiled questions of varying level of difficulty. This I would pass on to the more intelligent ones to keep them engaged. One has to make sure that they are of reasonable higher standard. Smarter ones mostly love challenging questions and if they can crack them it serves both the purpose. It gives them good practice and it allows you to spend more time with the weaker ones who need your help more.

5. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Dec 29, 2016