Serious Co-worker Concerns (Please help)

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Starista, May 12, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 12, 2006

I apologize if this comes off as too sensitive. Please take the time to read.

A year ago, I suffered a painful divorce and a terrible bout of depression which left me hospitalized and needing to take a medical leave of absence from my school where I had taught K for the past 3 years.

I relocated down south to be closer to family, as family is always the best supporter. I took a job teaching 1st grade at a school and was very anxious to start. I was in a new community with no friends yet ~ was just myself and fiance.

I was in a happy place. I hve a wonderful therapist, am on a medication that eases my depression. I am very spiritual person ~ which in turn helps me to be a bubbly person. I am very happy, eager to help, etc.

My "grade team coordinator" is a bit different ~ a bit bossy, intimidating and very matter-of-fact. There were times I would go to happy hour with her and the other girls in the wing. There are 3 first grade teachers, all women all 28ish. Some mornings I would bring both girls coffee. I always ask how I can help, what procedures are, as I am new. I even went to her house for her birthday party (the fact that this woman is 28 and holding her own birthday party is an entirely different issue :D ).

It's been stressful this week ~ as next week is the last week of school ~ lots to do... We all have things to do to get ready for the end of the year. I am new to the school so naturally I have lots of questions. I am possibly retaining a child ~ but it's a tough decision as any would be ~ and on Monday night I called my co-worker and asked her for some advise on the matter. We spoke for about 6 minutes and it was a fine conversation.

This afternoon (Friday) she came into my classroom and prefaced our conversation with (I know you're a very sensitive person... and I do not want to hurt your feelings... but..)... And basically told me that my cheerfulness stresses her out ~ that when I call her at home it stresses her out ~ and that she just wants to keep things professional with me. Needless to say, I was quite shocked. She asked if I understood where she was coming from and I said I didn't, but perhaps it would help if our principal was there to mediate.

Our principal came in and my coworker again repeated how she is friendlier w/ the other 1st grade teacher and did not want that same relationship with me. I was crying because, well, that is just how I react to being told that I was not someone's friend.

The coworker left, after telling me to have a nice weekend, and the principal asked me to stay and talk with her. We talked for awhile and she made me feel happier and talked about different personalities and what not.

I have 10 days of school left. I have no idea how to react to this situation... What to do on Monday. On one hand there's the "be a bigger person" attitude, which would make me feel like I should go in to work on Monday as my usual cheerful self. But then again, I think what she did was unnecessary and hurtful. I really don't have anything to say to her. Not because I wish to be mean or spiteful... but because I just don't want to be around her.

Thank you for reading this.

Any advice/comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

May 12, 2006

What a tough position to be in. How are you and your other co-worker? It seems a little strange that all of a sudden she acts like this. I understand how uncomfortable Monday will be but I think I would go in and be bubbly and cheerful just like any other day. When I saw this person I would just keep my distance and talk to her only when necessary and keep it on a professional level. SOunds like she will be missing out on a good friendship.

4. ipse99

ipse99 Rookie

May 12, 2006

I'm sorry I don't have alot of advice. I just wanted to send some hugs since it sounds like a bad situation at a time of year that you really don't need any additional stress. I guess I really don't know the whole situation. Do you call her much at home, does she call you? Sounds like you all have a pretty friendly relationship. You hang out and things like that so it wouldn't seem like 6 minute conversation about something work related should spark that kind of reaction where she had to have a specific conversation with you about and call in the principal. Really, the way I feel is there are just some people at work that no matter how nice they are and how great you get along with I really wouldn't want to be friends with them outside of work just because sometimes it causes these types of problems and you don't want to be in akward situation. I would say just try your best to go in and be polite but I wouldn't go out of my way to be nice to this person, especially since she wants to keep things professional. I'm sure it's hard, I might have started crying too if someone pulled me aside and told me they just wanted to keep things professional and not be friends with me. Take care.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 12, 2006

Starista-first of all, you took a giant step by taking on a new challenge. You should be commended for your courage and a job well done. Secondly, don't apologize for being who you are. Lastly, this coworker of yours is taking the not so subtle approach and saying she doesn't want to be friends. The best thing to do is let it go. Be cordial. That's all. Don't take it to heart. You are a good person, and will make other friends. I know it's much easier said than done, but this is why I tend to avoid being too chummy with coworkers. I AM A FIRM BELEIVER IN BOUNDARIES.

Keep on smiling and hang in there.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 12, 2006

and oh yeah, ,,, it's obviously her loss

7. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

May 12, 2006

Starista,
    I really feel for you! I agree with ipsee99 and Miss Frizzle. They have a lot of good advice. I typed a whole reply to you and accidentally hit some button and the whole message disappeared. Hope i can recall all my thoughts.
    I would be businesslike, nice but reserved. This person was downright rude. Some people and like that and they don't care whom they hurt. I, like you, am on the sensitive side, but I'm trying to toughen up (advice from my nice Principal at the private school). She counseled me nicely saying, "Don't let the kids/people etc. run over you.You've got to toughen up in this world." And like my Mom advised, "Some people you have to treat rough...and they'll respect you for it." (That's when my boyfriend and I split up.)
    I had a terrible school situation eight years ago, and like you had to get help and medication. This teacher was so ugly to the kids and to me (can't understand why she's still teaching, unless she has pull or politics). Several months ago I was assigned to substitute in that school and when I saw her at a distance, I really wanted to tell her what I thought. She also mistreated another co-teacher wh o also had to seek medical help...But I just kept my distance.
    I know you're dreading Monday, but just be businesslike and keep the distance.
    Take care, and do something really good for yourself this weekend to ease the streesful situation.
    Will you go back to this same school next year?
    This is the "hot time" for interviews and you may find a nicer place.
    Good Luck!

mitzi

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2006

"i don't want to be your friend"???? How incredibly second grade of her !!!

Her loss. It's a big world; there are lots of other friends for you. Anyone who is stressed out by cheerfulness has too much baggage for you!

9. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 12, 2006

That is a very odd and difficult situation for you. It sounds like you had a good relationship with your group, including this person who did a 180 degree turn on you. Did she ever call you? How often did you call her? It sounds like she has some problems and maybe seeing you happy when she is not, troubles her. Definitely her loss. As hard as it will be the next 10 days go to school and if she talks to you try to be your happy self. But don't try to strike up a conversation with her. Don't feel like you have to leave a room when she enters either and don't share any personal information with her, this will probably be difficult, but just be professional, but don't change your personality because of her sudden change. Try not to fret over it this summer, you cannot change someone else's personality or the way they think. Life is too short, enjoy who you are and where you are now.

10. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

May 12, 2006

Starista, I am very sorry that you are going through this. No matter how or what that teacher thought of you, she could have shown more sensitivity when telling you her feelings. I know how you feel because I am a VERY sensitive person too. Some personalities just don't click, but that's no excuse to be nasty like she was. This teacher seems to have some problems...I think when Monday rolls around, just stay calm and friendly with her on a professional level.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 12, 2006

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. My first thought is "kill her with kindness". Be polite and formal with her. Cut all ties with her outside of school. Even as I type that, I think how hard it must be to have to be that way. I have several teachers that I am aquainted with at work, but not friends. We are, though, friendly, and if I needed anything I could call any of them (there's a few that would be the last last last resource).
    I understand about the crying, too. That's my outlet. I cry when I'm angry, when I'm sad, when I'm worried, etc. It's frustrating because some people just think "poor thing" and don't take you seriously.

12. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 12, 2006

Thank you so much for all the thoughts and hugs. I am so very worried about going to school on Monday. I want to set things right with her and figure out how to make things better.

When the principal was comforting me, I (rashly) asked her if she would please switch me to a new grade. She said she would give it "serious consideration" over the weekend. I am worried that it made me out to be a weak person since I asked that. I should stay teaching 1st and not let this woman control me, yet, I do not want to be unhappy and miserable. :(

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 12, 2006

I think that you are too involved with the principal and this other coworker at this point. You have nothing to be sorry for, and you shouldn't feel as if you have to set things right. This person senses your vulnerability and she is going to use it to her advantage. Do you enjoy teaching your current grade> That should be the only question, not whether or not this person is your friend. I think the whole situation will just continue to get worse if you try to patch things up. Just do your best and stay professional. NO more phone calls to this other person, and I would be leary of the principal too. There's something fishy with that.

I don't mean to sound harsh. I too am overly sensitive, and I guess it's just easier to see it in other people, but I really want you to feel better, and not let this immature coworker get the best of you. It makes me so mad.

14. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 12, 2006

What made you leery about principal? I love the first grade, but feel I would love any primary grade.

15. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

May 12, 2006

I don't think you can set things right with the other teacher. You've been through a tough time the past few years and I am sure that it is terrible to feel rejected by this other teacher, but you can't make her like you. The more you try, the more she's going to draw away from you. You're just going to have to accept what she said and move on the best you can. Just be respectful and distant with her. Hopefully, you can preserve your working relationship. Good luck. Maybe being apart for the summer will help improve the climate when you come back to school in the fall.

16. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 13, 2006

I agree, trying to make things right with this other teacher is only going to make it worse. You have to decide how much you enjoy teaching 1st grade. If you love it, stay with it. Unfortunately there are people like this other teacher all over the world and we cannot do anything about it. If you love 1st grade stay there, be professional ONLY with this other teacher and have fun with your classroom. You are there for the kids, to make their lives better, not to be chummy with your coworkers.

17. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 13, 2006

When you have an illness like depression, you worry sometimes a bit more than people without (not always of course).

So last night I was up with worry about whether or not the other 1st grade teacher feels this way about me... and how to act. :(

I love the first grade ~ but I know I would love any primary grade.

I am so lucky that I only have 2 weeks left to be around her.

As I was stressing out last night it occured to me... we teach our 1st graders to be kind, patient, fair... compassionate... and like Jesus (I teach parochial). She was none of those things. :( I am not trying to judge her but... I realize it's a stressful time for all... but to treat me so harsh/cruely... I just don't get it :(

18. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 13, 2006

Starista, I'm very sorry you had to experience the words of this obviously insensitive person. She certainly has the right to "keep things professional", but she could have gotten the point across in a more subtle way. She must be a jerk.

One thing I really don't understand though is wanting the principal to "mediate." To me this a very personal issue and not one needing the mediation of a third person.

Hang in there. I have no doubt you will foster and maintain meaningful relationships at your school. :)

19. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 13, 2006

The co-worker has the reputation of going to the principal and complaining about "he said/she said" things. I did not want her to go to our principal and say I said anything which she may have misinterpreted or twisted.

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 13, 2006

One thing I really don't understand though is wanting the principal to "mediate." To me this a very personal issue and not one needing the mediation of a third person.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Starista- this is exactly what I meant, dragging another person in to this, not to mention the principal is really not necessary. You have tried to talk to this person w/ no luck. Therefore, chalk it up to a bad experience, and learn from it. Don't be so hard on yourself. This person apparently is not worth the time, and she is not losing any sleep over this, so why should you.

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 13, 2006

RED FLAG, RED FLAG--- IF SHE RUNS TO THE PRINCIPAL AND THE PRINCIPAL HASN'T SAID ANYTHING TO HER ABOUT BEING PROFESSIONAL... DON'T YOU THINK THEY MAY BE TOO CHUMMY??????? ANY PRINCIPAL I KNOW WOULD NOT LET ON ABOUT A COWORKER AS A FRIEND AND DEFINITELY WOULD NOT GET INVOLVED IN THIS SITUATION. HOW CAN YOU TRUST THE PRINCIPAL?THIS SITUATION IS ALREADY WAY OUT OF HAND AT THIS POINT, MY ADVICE SEEK A CONFIDANTE OUTSIDE OF CLASS, BE PROFESSIONAL IN CLASS, AND REMEMBER YOU HAVE LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT YOU. DON'T KILL YOURSELF OVER THIS PETTY NONSENSE

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 13, 2006

KILL HER WITH KINDNESS!!!!!!! LET IT DRIVE HER NUTS!!!

If she still wants to be an old bitty and "professional" fine... but kill her with kindness! Say hi in the SAPPIEST HAPPIEST voice you can find and lay it on THICK!!!! If she gets cranky with you about it, suggest she find her some meds that make HER feel well. Because apparently, she is not well herself. Give her some "happy pills"... buy her some Skittles, M&M's, TicTacs, anything and put on a card... HOPE THIS PUTS A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND MAKES YOU SPREAD HAPPINESS WITH EVERY STEP YOU TAKE.

I learned the kill'em with kindness thing in HS. :)

IT WORKS!
    Lori

23. jhamm57

jhamm57 Rookie

May 13, 2006

As an inclusion teacher, I was assigned to a regular classroom teacher who sounds very similar to the one you described. She was very rude and talked loudly about things in front of the students. I asked if we could discuss things later, when the children were not present. Our relationship turned sour when she had run out of numbers to make copies on the copy machine. I told her that I could do a few for her, but I could not make copies for the whole class all the time. She replied "What do you use your numbers for? You don't need them." I told her that I needed them for making copies of IEPs and progress reports, as well as other things.

At any rate, things went from bad to worse. I started documenting EVERYTHING she did or said. Because she would always do those things when no one else was around. So, it was her word against mine. The principal was no help. He was afraid of her because her mother was on the school board and he was afraid he would lose his job. So I began sending copies of my documentation to my special education supervior, my principal, and the supervisor of regular education teachers. Things finally came to a head when we had meetings with the entire "chain of command". They tried to mediate, but things did not get any better. At the last meeting, the supervisors and principal all met. I was informed later, that my schedule had been changed, and I was taken out of her class and placed in a grade level that I absolutely loved. They placed someone else in that position to serve those kids.............

I really believe that my documentation saved me...............It helped me to eventually be taken out of that situation. Plus the fact that she has had problems with other special ed teachers before. So, her track record preceded me.

This teacher and I don't interact. Every so often she may speak to me. When she does, I keep things very impersonal and professional. I think of it like this....I deal with her like you would deal with an irrate parent..... Cool and professional.

You are not alone. We all have had an experience like this from time to time. You must have faith and remember...........it is not your problem. That teacher is the one who has the problem, she is just taking it out on you. Who knows.........she may be jealous of you. Don't take her attacks personally. Try to remember where she is coming from.

Best regards............Enjoy your summer.

24. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

May 13, 2006

Starista, like others have said, Please do not try to "make things right" with her. It is obvious that she does not want to socialize or be friendly with you. She wants space. I would let her have it and I would be happy not to feel pressured to make nice with such a "bitty" as she seems to be. I think you will make things worse if you "try" to fix things. Things have a way of working themselves out naturally. I would form close friendships outside of work. Sounds like you are working in a cliquish (?) atmosphere. I know you take things to heart, and I probably would too, but for now, just hold your head up high, be proud of who you are and just be on professional basis because you only have a couple weeks left and you will feel better about things next school year.

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 13, 2006

Lots of good advice has been given already in this thread! Starista, many of us here struggle with depression and its treatment, so you are by no means alone in that. Even in a smallish school you will find people you don't get along with. It doesn't mean you have to change unless you want to change. It also doesn't mean that you have to be pals with your coworkers.

I, too, think a bit of distance is a good thing. You don't really need this other woman, do you? As long as you can be professional around her, that's all that matters. Your cheerfulness is an asset and she is quite strange in objecting to it.

26. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 13, 2006

Thank you all so much for all your help. I am so happy I posted here, it was so nice to get it off my chest! I did not dwell on it too much today and know I will dwell on it less tomorrow! Thank you again. :)

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 13, 2006

Starista, You really do need to let this go. I have a motto to keep me sane(sorta.) "It Doesn't Matter."

28. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

May 13, 2006

Did you happen to tell her that you struggle with depression? I have a friend who is on the autism spectrum and lived her first 27 years without a diagnosis. She only got diagnosed because she was having difficulty graduating from her OT program and felt it was because of communication problems. In the long run being diagnosed helped her graduate because it forced people to make accommodations. However she felt like some of her supervisors were looking for problems that they might not have looked for had she kept her diagnosis a secret. There are still a lot of people who are not comfortable with mental health issues. She may be looking for things that could be wrong with you (real or imagined) and that is why she reacted like she did.

29. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 13, 2006

If you have a naturally upbeat and happy personality, there is absolutely no need to change that about yourself. That's what little kids need in a teacher. I'd try (it's hard) to be myself, period. You don't have to be who she wants you to be. You can only be who YOU are.

Pretend it doesn't bother you. Smile and say good morning to her, and then go about your business. Ask her pertinent questions when you have to, but avoid indepth conversations. Seek out friends who are genuinely friendly people, because you don't need her in your life any more than necessary.
    Kim

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 13, 2006

how true

Unless someone has suffered from depression or similar, they will most likely not understand. Dealing with stupid people who lack understanding of the illness, can only add to the problem. Stay as far away from people like that as you can.

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 14, 2006

I agree Grammy, why give this ignorant person another thing to belittle you about-

32. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

May 14, 2006

It seems to me that no matter what age someone is, one should act in a proffesional manner. The woman you are talking about is 28, and does not mean she is going to be more "kick back" than other teachers her age.

I am sorry to say, but some people are bothered by "bubbly" personalities. That sucks, because I think that is mean point of view, but I can see her side of it.

All you can do now is be a professional in your job and how you approach and talk with other co-workers. Try to hold up until the semester is over, and do not talk bad about that other co-worker, even if someone asks you about her.

I am sorry you have to go through this. Good luck.

Vicki

33. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 14, 2006

So Many Thanks

Thanks again to all ~ :)
    Yes she knows I struggle with depression... in fact, she mentioned that her husband also had struggled with depression but she would not let him be on his medication for longer than 5 months. She claimed she saw it as a "Crutch" or a weakness.

On Monday I will go to work ~ hold my head up high and do my thing. After all, only 10 more days of school how bad can it be? :) In my "heat of sadness" I suggested that the principal switch me grades as the co-worker has been a pain in my bottom all year. I am no conflicted about that. I will see what happens on Monday. Thank you all again for your help and support.

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 14, 2006

She sounds like a complete idiot, starista. Just ignore her except for a polite 'hello' and go about your work.

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 14, 2006

Exactly

That's what I would do. You have more to do than worry about her anyway...just go about your business as usual.

36. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

May 14, 2006

I wasn't suggesting she tell her. :confused: I was wondering if she already told her and whether her co worker was looking for problems in Starista that may or may not exist. People still do not deal with mental health issues well (and this person obviously doesn't--not letting her hubby stay on meds???!!!) and are not always accepting of people who admit they have mental health issues. I was suggesting her co-worker was acting weird because she already knew. Sorry I didn't make myself clear on that.

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 14, 2006

This was exactly what I was thinking!!! How incredibly self centered of someone to go and actually say that to someone! She needs to get over herself and be thankful you aren't a mean spirited and negative person. I'd love to have co-workers (if I had any) who were always cheerful! It IS her loss. Big hugs to you! I don't think she handled that situation with any kind of professionalism what so ever, nor grace, humbleness or respect!

38. Mama Chick

Mama Chick Rookie

May 15, 2006

Her loss! Good Luck today. Just be yourself. If she can't handle it, it's her problem, not yours.

39. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 15, 2006

Vilola Swamp-- sorry, for the misinterpretation... I just got all wrapped up in this... it makes me so mad.

40. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 15, 2006

Starista-how did it go today?

41. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

May 15, 2006

I'm wondering how today went for Starista also, been thinking of her today.