Serena Williams OMG

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

I think too many atheletes want it both ways-- they want the notoriety and the money that fame bring, but they don't want any responsibility for their own actions.

You CAN'T have it both ways. Either your fans look up to you and admire you-- and buy all the stuff that has your name on it, and come see you play-- or they don't.

I don't follow tennis, though of course I'm aware of the Open. I know who the Willams sisters are, though I wouldn't recognize them if I passed them on the street in NYC.

But tantrums become REALLY tiresome once you're past the toilet trained age.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 12, 2011

If Tiger Woods still has endorsements, then athletes' behavior has nothing to do with status.

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

He still has some but a bunch left him

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 12, 2011

Reminds me of crazy sports-parents.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

Reminds me of John McEnroe.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

Exactly... Is it different because Serena is a woman, or would we think the same if McEnroe was still playing?:confused:

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 12, 2011

He should have none in my opinion.

None.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

Maybe they shouldn't be considered role models...few are.

"I don't believe professional athletes should be role models. I believe parents should be role models.... It's not like it was when I was growing up. My mom and my grandmother told me how it was going to be. If I didn't like it, they said, "Don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out." Parents have to take better control."...Charles Barkley

11. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 12, 2011

I think it's more that this has been warned about before, I think to Serena herself in fact. They warned her about the screaming a few weeks/months back.

I would like to think that it would be the same if McEnroe was still playing, but in all reality it's most likely more that she is a very well known player on top of being a woman....since you know women, we're supposed to be super calm ;)

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

I think that it was a lousy display of sportsmanship.

In general I'm not too concerned with what celebrities do in their personal lives. When it comes to actually playing sports, though, I think that all professional athletes should make an effort to display good sportsmanship. Like it or not, they are role models, and they don't need to act like jerks during or immediately following the game.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2011

I don't think athletes owe society a role model.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2011

I'm a huge tennis fan, played some, & have been to some pro tournaments including the U.S. Open one year. I think Serena went too far talking to the chair umpire. She should have let it go after a couple of min. She was far from winning that particular match anyway, so it didn't matter much. If she was very close, she would have had more of a reason to question it, but not in that method.

Plus, I agree that John McEnroe is the king of outbursts (& Jimmy Connors too), so what any other tennis player does compared to him (them) is nothing...NOT that it's right.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2011

I think that if you want my kids to buy tickets to see you play, and the sneakers and sports drinks and clothes and all the other stuff you receive money to endorse, and the magazines with your picture on the cover, you owe me something.

You owe me the ability to say to my kids: "OK, you want those $100 ___ sneakers?? Then act like ___ does."

I'm not asking for sainthood. I'm asking for adulthood.

Adults don't throw tantrums.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 13, 2011

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I didn't read every response, but I'll say this:

I'm surprised we hold athletes up to such high standards even if it is just when they are playing the sport, etc. when the fact of the matter is, our media in general is pure junk. Even the kid stuff is junk. It has too much crap our kids SHOULDN'T see everyday. It comes to the point where the only way to filter it is to completely ban it. Why only athletes? Why not everything?

I'm not a sports fan at all so I'm just curious.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011

Many sport figures are not good role models.

Charles Barkley was talking to parents, that they should not to rely on sport figures to be role models, this is very true BUT by default they are role models.

At the end of the day they are looked on by our youth as role models much as we teacher are looked on as role models.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2011

I think anytime someone is put into a position that kid might want to be when they "grow up" you are a role model. I think as teacher's we are role models in a small way. Kids are influenced by what they see and hear.

I'm with you Alice.... she should act like a grown up.

People whether sports figures or actors know how to "use" the media. You can be angry...but it's not like she doesn't know there are cameras & mics around. Sadly it gets her in the news & people talking.... It works doesn't it....

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011

He should have none because his golf game has fallen apart. Not because of what happened in his personal life.

20. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011

I'm not entirely certain what's in his various endorsement contracts, but it seems a provision regarding scandals that make him unmarketable would be at least as critical as one that allowed endorsers to drop him after a sufficient period of bad golf. Their asset has dropped to near-zero because of his lack of popularity, after all, which is based on issues in his personal life.

21. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 13, 2011

:yeahthat:

For me, it isn't even a matter of the sports gear because I'm not going to spend $100 for a shirt or shoes of ANY kind.

What does matter is that these athletes should act like adults and should show good sportsmanship. But our society has begun rewarding athletes that break tradition and exhibit street-attitudes rather than professional ones.

Lebron James has walked off the court pouting for 3 straight years when his team finally lost and his "excuse" for not showing good sportsmanship was "I'm a very competitive person".

No, James, you're a big spoiled BRAT that has always gotten his way until you reached the level where others have just as much talent as you.

The Williams sisters were driven very hard by their dad when they were growing up. Their practice schedules were grueling and he often became borderline abusive to them (when they were still pre-teens) when they showed any sign of weakness or complaining. You can argue that his efforts paid off, but I think he has also infused both of the girls with a sense of entitlement that they've earned their top spot through hard work and nobody has a right to question their actions. He is right about the first but dead wrong about the second. Every other top tennis player has also spent thousands and thousands of hours on the court since childhood perfecting their skill, so the Williams sisters don't deserve any better treatment than anyone else.

As for her outbursts, I don't think Serena is being singled out because she is female. In fact, Chris Everett called her $2,000 fine a "slap on the wrist". McEnroe absolutely generated as much hostility and negative media attention during his playing years as Serena and, arguably, even moreso because he is still remembered more for his outbursts than the actual skill level he brought to the game.

You never hear anyone talking about the historic match he and Bjorn Borg played at Wimbledon. When it was over and Bjorg had won, McEnroe's only comment to a reporter trying to interview him was "Talk to the champ". People also forget that McEnroe often argued calls made against his opponents...not just against him. And, when he thought he had been awarded a point unfairly, would often "give up" a point to his opponent to make up for it.

As for Serena, I've seen her outburst several times on ESPN today. Yes, she was out of line and deserved to be punished. Not because she is female, but because she violated the code of conduct expected of professional tennis players. However, I agree this particular outburst isn't nearly as "major" as her outburst last year against the line judge.

In addition to the fine, she should apologize for her actions rather than trying to excuse them by claiming "It was intense out there". I would hope ANY Grand Slam match is "intense" for both players involved. So she doesn't get a free pass just because she can't exercise some self-restraint.

22. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 13, 2011

I think her behavior is ridiculous! That is her job...if we talked to students, parents, or administrators like that, we would be in trouble! I think the fine is completely fair. I understand that she was mad and upset about the call, but she needs to learn some control of her emotions and talk with some composure! Grow up!!!

I think some of these fines are in place more now because of how widespread media is. There are countless numbers of people who can view a sporting event from anywhere in the world. Because more people have access to it, more people see these inappropriate outbursts. The players need to know there is an audience besides those in the stadium. These "role models" need to realize there is a consequence for their inappropriate behaviors.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2011

Oh, I think her behavior was absolutely uncalled for...please don't misunderstand that. And as it has been said, she's certainly not the only athlete who behaves inappropriately.

But I feel her job is to play tennis and thus entertain tennis fans. We may have made her into a role model, but that's not her responsibility. I think we need to reconsider who we make role models and why. And if we are offended by her behavior we can stop supporting her game and products.

She should act like an adult, though, for sure. Crazy...

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2011

She'll be giving an apology on TV.

25. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011

It is the fact that his scandal became so public and such a big deal. If it were simply the actions themselves, that would be different. His actions were of the personal variety. But I beg to differ, he is still extremely popular and people are begging for him to win again. With the time that has passed, those personal issues are a thing of the past for most of the public. He made some mistakes, all is forgiven, move on.

As for Serena, her actions were simply rude and insulting to the judge. In comparison, I enjoy watching old outbursts of McEnroe or Connors, they were entertaining, they were passionate. Serena is just a spoiled brat.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2011

Part of being a good athlete is displaying good sportsmanship. I bet that in the rulebooks for most professional sports there is stuff about how to behave on the court/field/whatever. Certainly there must be because in this situation the athlete was penalized for her inappropriate behaviors.

I think it's fair to expect that anyone in their job adhere to the rules and regulations of their job. Especially if that person works in a highly public position, and especially if it is commonly understood that many children look up to a person in that sort of position, I think that it's not too much to expect someone to do what their job says they should do and to not to the things that their job says they should avoid. That's what I mean about being a role model.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2011

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2011

That's a very tiny little first step, several days after the fact.

Sometimes "I'm sorry" simply isn't enough. It's something we're trying to impress upon our own kids-- an apology doesn't undo the original action. It only "counts" if it accompanies a sincere effort not to repeat the same action. Otherwise they're simply empty words.

So if you have a reputation for temper tantrums, the apologies are simply a media ploy to salvage your reputation and your bank account.

My 8 year old daughter understands it. She doesn't always remember it, of course. But then again, she's 8.

I know that if I had a temper tantrum like Ms. Williiams did in MY job, it would not go well.

And that if the high school kids I teach had a similar reaction to my judgement calls, it would not go well for them.

And that if any of my 3 kids had that reaction to any of my judgement calls, it would not go with with them.

So I'm not holding Ms. Williams to a "higher standard"-- simply the same standard to which I hold my 8 year old daughter.

29. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 14, 2011

I'm still reminded of ridiculous sports-parents and their inability to display sportsmanship while supporting their child. I've seen temper tantrums thrown on sidelines by parents that are embarrassing and sad. I've always wondered what the car ride home is like after that, and what the child learns from his/her parent during the car ride.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2011

How true, ku_alum. My worst experiences as a "sports parent" have all involved ridiculous behaviour by adults.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2011

What you've said, Caesar and others, makes sense to me. I guess part of what I mean is that I'm not any more disappointed when celebrities behave this way than I am when the average person behaves this way. Ideally all adults would model appropriate behaviors for children, thus making them a role model.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2011

Do average people behave this way?

Outside of reality TV, I've never seen it.

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2011

Crazy football dads? Youbetcha. I've seen it plenty. It's very upsetting and I feel bad for their kids.

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2011

I was a sport official for 30 years (football, Baseball, Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, softball, and Lacrosse).
    I have seen it all...…
    I have ejected my share of players and coaches.
    99% were for unsportsman like behavior.
    Some were for actions seen on TV by Pros but are not allowed by amateur rules. the excuse was "So 'N So did it Sunday"

35. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2011

She is an amateur compared to Johnny.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2011

Oh, yeah...I've witnessed it plenty. Nuts. :dizzy:

37. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2011

He was much more entertaining to watch.

38. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 14, 2011

Average? Meaning, any old parent in any old school with any old child-athlete? YES.

Average meaning mature, restrained, composed? NO.

And, it's not the dads in my area, it's the moms. I've left games out of embarrassment from the adults, too uncomfortable to watch. And, having a rational reality-check convo with one of them when she is screaming threats to kids on the field isn't an option.

We pee-wee so hard around here that by the time our kids have any real skills (HS and beyond) they are so burned out they don't play.