Sequester

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ayla, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ayla

ayla Companion

Mar 3, 2013

What kind of impact do you think the sequester will have on job hunting?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2013

Schools are mostly funded locally, not federally. It may have some impact in terms of federally funded programs, but for the most part, I don't see my area schools being affected.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 19, 2013

Dept. of Defense schools will likely take a hit. I am not certain how it will play out. Therr is a lot of speculation but no answers yet.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 19, 2013

I'm bracing for some kind of trickle-down effect to the state funding from DOE, but it might still be averted. I know there are already massive state cuts looming here.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 19, 2013

Teachers are speculating they may have 4 day school weeks but I will be surprised if that happens. One that I talked to couldnt imagine how to find 22 days otherwise. Another article I read spoke of perhaps startinf school late next year. I would imagine they could then just cram all the rest of the days in and take out professional development days from next year's calendar but again, both of these scenarios are pure speculation. Nothing has been determined yet.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 19, 2013

I am sure there will be some furloughs and salary cuts.

8. ayla

ayla Companion

Mar 19, 2013

My biggest concern is that the cuts primarily target special ed if I understand? Will they have to cut other positions to meet the state mandates for special ed or will they not be required to meet special ed student/teacher ratios etc?

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 19, 2013

That I am not sure of but I do know that the teachers are told they will have 22 furlough days. All employees get this. They will not be working those days. Where do the students go? I am assuming they will be off too. In the long run I would rather see that than students lose services permanently but it is not clear what will be happening.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2013

All teachers and schools will experience this?

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 19, 2013

All Dept. of Defense workers are set to have the 22 days of furlough. I am told by the teachers, this includes them. That is, unless Congress changes things in the next month. All are supposed to work 4 day weeks. Teachers are not being told any different, so far. It is speculation in place of actual confirmation. I asked my teacher friend last night and she said they still don't really know how it will play out but so far it seems there will be a furlough.

To clarify your question Tammy, I am told it is all teachers employed by the Dept. of Defense. My children were just served for the last 2 years in a Dodds (DoDEA) school. It is my understanding that it will be every teacher in every one of those schools. I am making one broad assumption though. I don't think any of them are soldiers. I think they are fully staffed by civilian government workers. It is civilian government workers that are affected. I think some of those workers work in high need areas as well (ie, not Dodds schools). If so, in those cases, it wouldn't affect the entire school staff. For Dodds schools, it would affect the entire school staff.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

13. blackandgold1

blackandgold1 New Member

May 11, 2013

In the schools that are heavily reliant on federal funding via Title I, Impact Aid, etc., it could have a pretty dramatic impact. However, for schools that are not overly dependent on federal funding, particularly those that are funded primarily by local property taxes and not through a statewide equalization formula, I don't think that the sequester will be too impactful.