September Blues..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LMichele, Aug 24, 2011.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 24, 2011

Does anyone else here getting sad with the start of school and no job? Now that my summer school job is over and I have nothing to do until October, I was just overcome this morning with feeling sad. This is my third year of job searching and the year I put the most time and effort into, so it hurts to not have a "real" job for September. I know I can go back to a school that I love for my perm. sub. job, but it's still hard. Some days, like today, I'm just so sad and don't know what to do with myself. It's terrible thinking that I'll be this sad for another 6 weeks until October.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2011

It stinks....we still have 2 weeks to get hired! We can do it!

Could you get unemployment since your summer job ended and you don't technically have a job until October?

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 24, 2011

I tutor and will be teaching 3 after school/Saturday classes beginning in mid September, so I don't think unemployment is an option. Money isn't my concern right now (I've gotten very good and finding cheap options to go out or find stuff to do at home/my boyfriend's house) I'm just bored, I guess is what it is. Everyone I know is working or getting ready to go back.

5. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

I dropped my son off for the first day of 4th grade on Monday. And, yes, it made me sad that I wouldn't be in my own classroom yet another year.

After dropping him off I went to my non-teaching job. I'm glad to have it, but I feel like it's draining the life from me sometimes.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2011

I hear you! I found out yesterday I wouldn't have a job....at least summer isn't ending next Thursday right? Last year I got hired on August 30th, so I'm keeping positive!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

Wait! You had a interview yesterday that you're waiting to hear from, right???

And you said you emailed 2 of the schools that were in Newsday yesterday-- what about the other 3 or 4??

I know you've hit the Catholic schools-- how about all the non-Catholic private schools-- Friends, Lutheran, yeshivas...???

You know what Yogi Berra said-- "It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings." She may be warming up, but she "ain't" singing yet!!

8. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 24, 2011

In my area the blues are right now. Today was the first day of school for just about every school within an hour radius of me. I was a little sad driving past the school and seeing it in full session.

9. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 24, 2011

Yeah, I can totally relate. This is my 2nd year being laid off. I still have a couple of weeks left before school starts, so I'm still holding out hope.

10. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 24, 2011

I e-mailed 2 of the others, one of the emails bounced back an the other hasn't responded. One of the schools mentioned a friend worked at and never had a good thing to say about it & was incredibly stressed/sick the entire time she was there, and the other one I didn't e-mail my grandma knows someone on the board and they only seek out bilingual teachers.

I got resumes out to all of the private schools in June and some follow up e-mails sent out to the ones I was particularly interested in and/or had e-mails on the website.

As for the one I'm still waiting for, I know they said they had interviews lined up for the week and that they would be moving quickly. No specific date of when they would expect to call a candidate. I sent out thank you e-mails, but is it acceptable to call as well to follow-up? If so, when should I do that?

11. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

It is very hard knowing I don't have a teaching job this fall but I'm going back to my TA job that I love and can't wait to see those kids. I'm not completely giving up yet though, there is still 2 weeks before school starts and I'm hoping districts will have some last minute positions.

12. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Aug 24, 2011

I do not like my non teaching job either. It does not pay enough and it is part time. I have been working so hard and feel nothing has worked no matter how hard I try or what I do. Finding out today I am pretty much uninsurable too makes me feel worse. I was trying to find my own policy outside of my husband's job and because of cancer again, I am uninsurable. Sigh. Very upset, frustrated, and sad.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

Nangel...so sorry to hear of your cancer. Please focus on taking care of yourself.:love:

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

I'm so very sorry.

Contact the American Cancer Society and talk to someone there-- someone must be able to get you some insurance, and I bet they'll be able to give you a direction.

Is there any way you can stay on your husband's insurance?

15. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Aug 25, 2011

I can stay on my husband's insurance. That is no problem. I was just trying to find my own policy to make things easier on us financially. I am still applying for teaching positions I see come up. I had hoped something would work out by now and I am still waiting on districts to get my sub info situated.

16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 25, 2011

I try to stay positive. Even though I'm not in a school, I'm still teaching my content area, doing what I'm good at, and I'm sure the kids will be a lot nicer.

17. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Aug 26, 2011

I was sad. It was hard seeing first day of school pictures and articles about teachers gearing up for the year. Maybe the worst was teacher friends on Facebook talking about open house and the excitement of the first day. I'm glad that part is over and I'm in school again preparing for a brand new career. My stress level and happiness is back!

18. Starling

Starling Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

Here's what I've discovered about myself.

I'm really not all that sad about not being in a classroom this fall. Perhaps it's because my previous position left me anxiety ridden and upset for 6 months straight? Maybe because I need a break from the high maintenance school I was in? Maybe because I might be ready for a different career path?

I'm not sure exactly.

What I do know is that I'm loving working from home, making a higher salary in my comfy sweats and tee-shirts (just no benefits since I'm an independent contractor).

I've thought about checking into technical careers since I'm good with a computer. I saw a commercial for medical software and billing degrees and thought "Huh, that could be interesting."

I might just need this year off from teaching to get my bearings straight and then go from there, but I don't feel like it's the end of the world because I'm not teaching. And that, I think, speaks volumes for me.