September 11 Lesson Plan/Books

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by intern09, Aug 30, 2010.

1. intern09

intern09 Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

I was just wondering if anyone has any special ideas or lessons that help kids understand September 11th? I have my students present current events and today some of them presented a current event about some trees that were being planted at ground zero in memory of those who died. A lot of the kids had questions; and a lot of kids wanted to share answers. I told them we would have a special social studies lesson on September 11th about what happened. I was thinking of reading a picture book about it (not sure what one) and then having them interview someone (like a parent or sibling) who was old enough to remember what happened. I would provide the questions... Where were you when you heard about it? How did you find out about the attacks? How did you feel? What do you remember about the weeks that followed? etc. I wanted to talk to them about how learning history from a primary source is the best way to learn history. Then we will put all of the interviews into a class book that each can read.

So my main question is: Does anyone know of a good picture book about September 11th to introduce what happened? I was reading some reviews and looking for books on amazon.com and it seems like I will most likely try to find or order September Roses by Jeanette Winter. To anyone who has read it.. did you like it or are there better books out there? If so, what do you recommend? Thank you for any help!

3. savestheday1121

savestheday1121 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 11, 2010

September 11: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right

That's my favorite book about Sept. 11. Maybe a little young, but I love it (and my students always really enjoy it). It was written by a 1st grade class.

Take a look at this site: September 11: Through the Children's Eyes
    It was put together by a group of 5th grade students in an NYC school. They interviewed other students about what they saw, how they felt, etc. I think it's really powerful, and since my kiddos weren't even born then, it gave them a better understanding of the day.

5. small_fry

small_fry New Member

Jul 12, 2012

I used Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey by Maira Kalman. It's a wonderful story, giving accurate facts, but in a kid-friendly way. Fifth graders are able to understand the gravity of what happened and this book is a great discussion-starter.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

14 Cows for America is a great picture book on the theme.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

Small Fry... I was going to say Fireboat...

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012