Separating twins

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mizz Lucy, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jun 19, 2006

teachers/mothers of twins

I have twin identical sons who will soon be entering school.
    I'm looking for any negative and positive experiences with twins in the same classroom or separate classrooms.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  3. Carla

Carla Companion

Jun 20, 2006

Twins....I don't know how you do it! We have had several sets of twins at our school. I had one of them in my class last year. They started Kindergarten in the same class, but have been in seperate classes ever since. I dont' know why this was done. The mother says the boys being in seperate classes actually feed off eachother. They come home and teach the other what they've learned....even though standards are the same their teachers sometimes takes different approaches. The only problem that us teachers had in third grade that we ran into issues with was the mom (every once in a while) saying.... Mrs. Mathis didn't do it like that. That was only a problem when we taught similar things. Both ways were right, however when the kids discussed their days they argued over which one was right/wrong.
    Good luck to your boys and to you. Have you talked to the school about their preference? Some schools will not allow them to be in the same class.

4. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Jun 20, 2006

Ineresting that some schools will not allow them to be in the same class... I have identical twin sons as well and they WILL be placed in the same class when they start school... which will be in one or two years.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 20, 2006

We are a small school. One class per grade. Twins are always in the same room. We have never had any trouble. Twins are so special. I think they should be together.

6. lcr

lcr Companion

Jun 20, 2006

I really enjoyed having twins in my class. They were very well-behaved and would help one another if they didn't understand something. I don't see how it is a problem having twins in the same class.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 20, 2006

I think it depends on the twins. We had twins in the same class this year. One did all the work for the other. He also did all the talking.

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 20, 2006

It can be a problem. If the twins have behavior issues it is especially hard, but that isn't the only factor. We had 4 sets of twins in kindergarten one year... 2 sets were together and 2 were separate based on parent choice. After that, the school made a policy that twins could not be in the same classroom. Knowing how difficult it is to teach twins, if I had twins I would put them in separate classrooms, but that's just me. I was very diligent about teaching them as individuals and it was very frustrating, especially during the first few months. By the end of the year, I could separate them in my mind and thoroughly knew them as individuals, but it was a long process. A parent probably doesn't realize how long it takes for someone to get to that point because once you get to know them it seems so natural.

You can find some other threads about twins that might be helpful...
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=19620
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=11415

9. teacherbecky

teacherbecky Rookie

Jun 20, 2006

I had a set of twins in my classroom last year. They both did fine in the room together. I tried to seperate them on projects so that they were not always together and to see how they would do apart. I never really had any problems with them being in the same class. I hope that this helps.

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jun 20, 2006

I do homeschool my children, but if put in public school, I would ask they be put in seperate classes, (for one thing they are boy/girl) but you don't want one twin being compared to the other if one excells in one thing the other one isn't good at. You want them to make seperate friends.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2006

I am the only PreK teacher in my school, so all twins get placed together for the PreK year. In Kindergarten, it's parent choice. After K, we encourage parents to place the kids in seperate classes, but if a parent has a strong preference for them to be together, we honor that.

Some good things about seperating them:
    *they get to develop a unique identity, not always being called "the twins." That happens in my class, and we had fraternal twins this year. Even in June, the rest of the class was calling them "the twins" instead of Jayson and Justin. I felt sad for them.
    *they get to develop some independence. In every set of twins I've ever had, one was more socially dominant. One is also usually academically dominant. Sometimes, the same one is stronger in both areas. That really can hurt the self esteem of the weaker one. I've had many, many cases where one twin talked for the other, and even did the classwork for the other.
    *it lessens social competition. they don't have to compete for classmates' attention, since they'll have a different set of classmates.
    *they probably won't have the exact same academic strengths and weaknesses, and if you allow them to be apart, the school can try to match each one, as an individual, to the teacher best suited to their learning style.
    *the teachers won't automatically compare and label them..."he's the smart one, she's the shy one."

some drawbacks of having them together:
    *2 schedules to manage (gym day, media day, etc), although parents of children in seperate grades also have this to deal with.
    *it will be really hard not to compare the kids' teachers and their own strengths and weaknesses.
    *2 sets of friends will inevitably lead to playdates and party invitations for just one of the twins, and the other one may be hurt.
    *the social schedule will be more difficult with two seperate social circles to deal with.
    *in the younger grades, where parents still have to help with homework so much, you'll be dealing with two different sets, perhaps.

Hope I helped!
    Kim

12. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jun 20, 2006

at my school we keep twins together for the primary grades and in intermediate grades we tend to separate them. don't know why, but that's what we do. i think that separating them is wise. i would want to know the individual child instead of the "set." yes they are twins, and yes they are special. but they are also special as individuals. let them start to build their own identity early so they aren't "tied" to their sibling forever.

i don't know if that all makes sense, but that's my thought. i love this too "they get to develop some independence. In every set of twins I've ever had, one was more socially dominant. One is also usually academically dominant. Sometimes, the same one is stronger in both areas. That really can hurt the self esteem of the weaker one. I've had many, many cases where one twin talked for the other, and even did the classwork for the other." i agree!!!

good luck with either! take care
    LC

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2006

I have had several twins in my class throughout the years. There were huge problems when they were together and we had to separate them after a few months of chaos. The main problems stemmed from one of the twins being dominant. One year I had boy/girl twins and the boy was soooooooo naughty ALL the time and the girl was soooooooooo perfect we couldn't stand it. She gloated over how good she was and her brother was so naughty. I was stuck with them together for a whole year. One time I had two boys and they were both soooooooooooooo naughty ALL OF THE TIME and no one could do anything with either one of them. The two of them screamed and hollered and fought with each other all day long. Finally I said, "Do something with them or I'm quitting!" So, they were able to send one of them to another school!!! That left me with half of the trouble! So, needless to say, I would separate twins so they can learn at their own pace and make their own life.