Separate Entrance for Sp Ed Students!?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by new to this, Aug 11, 2011.

1. new to this

new to this New Member

Aug 11, 2011

I just started at a high school in KY. They have the parents/buses that some of the special ed students come into that is in the back of the building. The students and parents do not like this approach!! These students were going in the building the same way the regular students were last year but the transportation director decided to change it......isn't that illegal to make these students come in and leave through a back entrance?! Any definitive links or sites I can forward to the new superintendent? And how do I approach this without getting fired!!!

Thanks-

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

If the parents are upset, they're probably already causing a ruckus. It's probably not illegal as long as the sidewalks, ramps, entrances on that side of the building are user friendly for anyone with disabilities. Was the decision made to alleviate crowding at the front of the building? Are there any other students entering on this new side?

4. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Is this because of the location of their classroom? When I was in high school the students in the SDC came on buses that went to the back of the building. This is because their classroom was right there. Otherwise they'd have to cross the entire campus and it would be far too difficult.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

We drop some of our students who ride a separate bus (some are diagnosed with disabilities, some kicked off the regular bus) in the back of the building. This helps the students get where they are going without walking through crowds. Our parents have never had a problem with this though.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2011

Why are they having a problem with this?

I had one of the bus drivers mad at me last year because I kept reporting her. She would drop her student off each morning at the front door. This would take about 10 minutes because of operating the bus lifts, etc. I would often have to wait behind her--not a problem, I can be patient.

But, THEN, she would pull up to do her paperwork or whatever the heck she did and block all three disabled spots even knowing I had been waiting behind her to park for up to FIFTEEN minutes.

Her argument was that she needed to do her paperwork (and I guess she couldn't pull forward an extra 20 feet so that I could park...).

Anyway, I know if those buses are ever late, they had to go to another entrance in order to safely use the lifts and to not a)make the student really, really late by waiting for bus unloading or b)not make dozens of students really really late by having all of them wait for the lifts.

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

Seconding most posts - while it might be distasteful in a way, if there is a practical reason, it probably makes sense - only way it would be illegal would be if there were no practical or educational reason (e.g., they went to the exact same spot), but were not allowed to use the front entrance simply because of their disability - even then it may not be illegal, but certainly would violate the spirit of many laws.

8. new to this

new to this New Member

Aug 11, 2011

OK, well....I just thought that the whole spirit of Inclusion was not separating the sp ed students. I guess I was wrong! That's okay, I'm new to this!! I will be the drone that the education system wants and keep my mouth shut I guess. I still think it's wrong to force these children into a separate entrance when they are perfectly capable of using the main school entrance like they have been doing for years.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Don't be a drone. Find out if there is a reason for this use of the second entrance. I know many of my students prefer to use the back entrance so that they can easily navigate the hallways and get to class on time.

10. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 11, 2011

Ours uses the rear entrance because of loading/unloading with the wheelchairs. This entrance is used only for the students that require specialized transportation due to their disability. All mild/moderate students ride the regular buses and use the front entrances.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2011

Inclusion is not always the be all and end all. Sometimes the best accommodation is something separate.

Nobody is suggesting you not say anything. I suggest finding out WHY they have made this change. I am assuming that there was a really good logistical or practical reason for it and not some sort of evil "lets keep these kids out of sight" reason.

Speaking as a person with disabilities, if going in through a back door meant a lot less walking for me to get where I needed to go, I don't need or want to be "included" in the front door morning melee!

Students with mobility issues are routinely allowed to move from class to class at different times when the halls are empty rather than being "included" in the usual routine. I know they are capable of going at the usual times, but it is less stressful and more comfortable.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Wow. None of us here on the forums are drones...reread the posts...there are many practical reasons why the bus drop off may have been moved...

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

Whoa....

No one suggested you be a drone.

The experienced professionals here merely suggested that the experienced professionals with whom you work might have had some good reasons for the policy. You're new to this school; they're not. Perhaps they made the change for the good of the children, taking into consideration some factors you're simply unaware of at this point.

14. PerfectCircles

PerfectCircles Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

Our ES students in two of our buildings use a separate entrance because it's nearest to their classroom. Many of them are included for most classes, but a few are in the ES room all day.

At our high school that serves students with more severe physical handicaps they use a separate entrance because it's easier on their wheelchairs and they don't have to fight the buses to get to their van.

If you're talking about students who do not have special transportation due to behavior issues or severe disabilities, I agree that I would ask questions and find out why they're being separated. If it isn't for the safety of everyone or for the ease of the special needs students, by all means make a ruckus at the school.

15. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

At the last two middle schools I worked at, sped buses always dropped our kids off at a different entrance. Both times, these entrances required less walking and no steps. I never really thought about it as discrimination... Hmm.

16. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2011

My kiddos come in a separate entrance because it's less chaotic. The buses take them through the back bus loop which allows teachers to pick them up immediately and bring them right into the classroom. It's not discrimination, it's convenience and safety. The kids are easily overwhelmed by the craziness of arrival and dismissal and this just makes it easier and safer for everyone. Also, the kids with physical disabilities have no stairs and less walking/rolling to the classrooms. Also, there are often toilet accidents or bathroom requests that are much easier to remedy because we are so close to the bathroom/classroom. The kids and parents don't care.... I completely understand why they do it. My kids don't really even know the difference...

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2011

As some others have mentioned, what kinds of disabilities do these students have? Are they students with physical disabilities who are using that entrance because it's the safest one to use? Are they students with severe/profound disabilties who aren't able to navigate the hallways alone? IMO, in these situations there isn't anything wrong with what the school is doing. However, if on the off chance (I'm assuming that this is not the case) that these are simply students with learning disabilities who are totally capable of navigating the hallways themselves, I'd be concerned. I teach mild-moderate and I know I'd be really upset if any of my students were in that situation- even if the bus dropped them off right next to my room where they come first thing, I don't think it would be right. However, these students ride the same bus as everyone else, so I'd have to assume you're talking about severe needs here.