Sentences Activity/Game

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Jamey123, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Jamey123

Jamey123 Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

I am working on the four types of sentences in my classroom. Does anyone have any creative activities/games to use for reviewing sentences? Thanks so much!!

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 10, 2007

We play the sentence game. My students love it. In four corners of the room you post signs. Each corner is a type of sentence (interrogative, imperative, declarative, exclamatory). Have the students choose a corner. Say a sentence. Students raise their hand and say what kind of sentence it is. The students standing in the corner of that sentence have to sit down. I then give my student 5 seconds to choose a different corner to stand in. I have to trick mine. If I say an imperative sentence, the next round a lot of students will go to the imperative corner because they won't think I'll do two sentences of the same kind in a row.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't.

4. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 10, 2007

Sounds like a fun activity. I think I may try it tomorrow. After grading todays worksheets I found out that some of the kids aren't getting the difference between the sentences (even with the cheat notes at the top of their paper). I think hands on stuff is great!

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 10, 2007

I forgot to add something. I have my students write the sentences on their own. I pass out different colored 3x5 notecards for them to write the sentence on (pink=exclamatory, yellow=imperative, etc.). If you don't have colored notecards, number them 1-4 (1=exclamatory, 2=imperative) and they have to write that kind of sentence. Therefore you're selecting sentences they wrote (extra practice).

6. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

This is just a different way to practice. Get articles from the newspaper or magazines and have the children color sentences according to a preset code red=imperative
    yellow=declaritive etc. etc.