Sentence Writing for ID Student

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bballjoe12, Aug 17, 2014.

1. bballjoe12

bballjoe12 Companion

Aug 17, 2014

I have a severely low 3rd grader who struggles with even the most basic things. She is on the MR scale.

I'm trying to figure out how I can get her to write a basic sentence on her own. If I ask her, "What did you learn today?," she can verbally tell me an answer in a complete sentence, but if I ask her to write me 1 basic sentence about what she learned, she is not able to.

What steps do I take to get her to write a basic sentence independently? Any activities or ideas?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2014

First, start with a topic she can relate to - family, friends, pets, etc. Then work up to writing the sentence on her own. Try using poetry magnets (magnetic words) and giving her a choice of just 10 that you have preselected so you know a sentence is possible. If you have any blank magnets, put punctuation on them.

Next, use cloze sentences. My borderline student loved doing Mad Libs with me. I wrote the simple stories (usually with him in them) and kept the parts of speech very simple. This was just about his favorite activity.

It is also fun to have the student change just one word of a prewritten sentence to change it's intensity or meaning. Again, keep it easy enough. These kinds of activities help to boost self-confidence and lead to more risk-taking in writing for the student, I have found.

4. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

I have my low kiddo tell me a sentence then I write it on a whiteboard. They copy to their paper. You could also have them verbally tell a short sentence and draw a line for each word. Mix up the words and have them sort it into the correct order and glue or copy down.

5. bballjoe12

bballjoe12 Companion

Aug 22, 2014

I love the magnetic words ideas and mad libs! After they are able to do both of those things, what would the best natural progression? Me writing down a simple question and her answering it?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2014

DK used to make a "Silly Sentences" activity set in which each part of speech is color-coded and on what amounts to a puzzle piece (so, for instance, the adjective locks into the noun but not the verb). If you could find a set on eBay, that might provide good visual reinforcement for what goes where in the sentence.

7. bballjoe12

bballjoe12 Companion

Aug 22, 2014

There pretty cheap on ebay, actually!