Sentence writing as punishment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Curiouscat, Apr 28, 2011.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 29, 2011

Wait, there are only 2 more days of punishment and 5 weeks and 3 days have gone by and you are just NOW saying something?

Also, just remember, ALL parents think their child is an angel. Children can act completely different at home vs. school.

2. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

Only two weeks have gone by since he started writing sentences. I found the sentences and started asking questions. Now suddenly the party is scheduled for Tuesday. The principal said, "The party is now scheduled for Tuesday, so Wednesday everyone can start over fresh with a new policy in effect."
    My son had the sentences in his folder, and that is how I found out. I asked him if any of the other kids told their parents about this. He asked the other 4 who were in with him. They said no they haven't told because they don't want to get in trouble at home. They said they throw their sentences away before going home. So, if I call their parents to get their support, their children will hate my son.
    Teacherapr- I don't believe for one moment my child is an angel, nor do I expect or want him to be an angel. I believe he is a kid who has to learn by experience. If he was bad on a regular basis (daily) or physically hurting someone repeatedly, or being disrespectful on a regular basis, I would back the school 100 percent. Plus, there would be some serious consequences in place at home. The teachers have raved for years about how well behaved and respectful my son is at school. They say he is independent, doesn't get involved in other peoples drama, and is kind to others. Does that sound like a kid who deserves to lose recess for six weeks because he didn't line up fast enough or talked once in line? I believe in consequences, but I feel strongly that this set of consequences is extreme.

3. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

I don't believe they think the situation is minor. In my opinion the principal is not backing the teachers since they were meeting to change the policy because the principal feels it is excessive. In my lifetime there has only been two occassions where I have seen a principal not back a teacher. I think that speaks volumes.
    teacher.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 30, 2011

ok, yes, I see what you are saying and I do agree with you that if the school as well was stating how well behaved he was that this is definitely a shocker and inappropriate. I was just trying to play devil's advocate for a second there. I understand how easy it is to think things of your child because hey.....we are their parents and can easily be biased = ) I know I can be but I have to catch myself heh

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 30, 2011

Just wanted to point out this was my ORIGINAL post. Apparently, someone ALTERED it.

6. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

How is that even possible? I saw the original post, which did not include "sexist but very funny, thanks for the laugh" and then I saw the quote and I was wondering about the difference.

[Edit: TeacherApr, I don't mean to question *you*, I mean to ask how someone could alter a post. That's pretty horrifying to think about, given the recent discussions we've all had.]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  7. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 30, 2011

As you can see I put the same quote in twice. I did that by cutting and pasting the quote. All quotes start with a set of codes in square brackets and ends with other code in square brackets. I think what happened is curiosity typed the comment in the quote section thinking it would be seperated. So, in the second quote I am going to add some nonsense. I'll I'm doing is typing between the deliniated codes.

So, do "reply with quote" and look carefully at the type in the beginning and end. you will see the code in the square brackests that indicates the start of the quote and then the code that indicates the end of the quote. .

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 30, 2011

a2z, I think you're right that the "sexist but funny" comment was interpolated accidentally by the quoter.

If a post once posted is altered, it will show a notation that it's been edited.

For instance, I'm returning to this thread to note that I could alter it; it now shows a timestamp to that effect at the bottom.

9. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

Great, thanks for the explanation. It will make me careful to check the HTML when I interpose my own response in any quotes.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

When you quote a post and then someone quotes your post the original quote does not remain unless you add it manually

EDIT: didn't read beyond your post when I posted

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 30, 2011

Anyone can alter anything on the internet. :eek:hmy: lol

I just wanted to clarify, that's all.

12. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 2, 2011

Quick update....I talked to the principal last Friday. He stated he feels the consequences are excessive and will be meeting with the teachers in the afternoon to create a new policy.
    My spouse stopped today to see what is going on since we couldn't get anyone to call us back. The principal said all students get their recess back today and start with a clean slate. The new policy is in effect. The children who earned the recess party will have the party on Tuesday.
    Turns out the party will now be 90 minutes instead of an hour. Students are still expected to write the entire time. My son went out to recess, but the recess aide yelled at him and said he can't play with any of the sports balls during recess because he supposed to be in the writing club. Another child spoke up and asked if that included him since he had been in the writing club at the same time as my son. She said no it was only for my son.
    My son told me about the new recess policy. If you are bad you get a rating or strike. Example, you don't line up fast enough that is a one. Fighting is a three. When you get three strikes you are in for recess for six weeks during which you will be writing sentences. Then you have to write sentences during the one hour recess party.
    This is identical to the old policy except you got in trouble after two offenses. this is making me crazy!

13. carolinaaram

carolinaaram New Member

May 3, 2011

Talk to the Principal Regarding this

14. a2z

a2z Maven

May 3, 2011

Did the principal explain the new policy to your husband? Did he ask or just TRUST?

Power plays disgust me. One tiny change to say they worked with the parent when in reality they didn't even address the problem.