Sentence Strips????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by miss jennifer, Jul 29, 2009.

1. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

This might be a silly question, but I'm going to ask anyway. Do you use sentence strips in your classroom? If you do, what do you write on them or use them for? How or where do you display them? Do you use a pocket chart to display them?

I am planning for what I need/want to buy for next year and I didn't know if sentence strips were something that I needed or would use in my classroom.

Thanks.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

Sentence strips can be used for word wall words, to post your standards, for desk name tags, to display important info, ...anything really. I used to use them for my word walls but our new reading series comes with a stack of vocab cards that we slip into our pocket charts.
    They sell erasable (dry erase) sentence strips at teacher supply stores. Those are really neat. A little pricey but at least you always have a fresh stack.

4. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks. I had thought about using them for the word wall words, but I wasn't sure of what else to use them for.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

I also use them a sequencing strips. Some worksheets have pictures that students need to place in the correct sequence order. I have them cut out the pictures and then staple them onto the strip. Underneath picture they write a sentence describing what is happening.

6. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I also think sentence strips are a great way to teach sequencing. I write ten important sentences from our story to the sentence strips, then laminate them and put magnets on the back of each one. The students read the story during centers and then have to place the sentences in sequential order on the magnetic whiteboard. Plus it's nice because you can save them and re-use them year after year! :)

7. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I use sentence strips so often that I keep them on the shelf closest to my desk! I use them every week to write the new spelling words and put them in a pocket chart. (that way the kids can pull them down, use them & study them, etc.) I also use sentence strips to put titles on bulletin boards sometimes. I also use them during lessons & let the kids write with them depending on what we are learning. You can cut them to whatever size you need. I just LOVE them!

Oh - another way I have used them is to laminate them. Then you can write on them with a vis-a-vis marker and erase it! Great for changing menu choices etc. ;)

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 29, 2009

I write their spelling words on them, cut them apart, and we sort them on using a pocket chart. I also write vocab words and their definitions and we match them.

Someone mentioned the erasable ones -- I have some and I hate them! They smear when the kids touch them to put them in the pocket chart. The plain old ones are fabulous.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

I post the Essential Questions on them and put them in a pocket chart.