sentence strips and pocket charts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by iteachm123, Aug 12, 2006.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

I am new to teaching 2nd grade but have taught 3rd, 4th, and a 5th grade science. I've seen sentence strips and pocket charts in the teacher supply stores and have always wanted to use them. Would someone give me ideas for some creative uses? Thank you!!

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 12, 2006

Here are some ways I use sentence strips:

A Word A Day... I put a word on the board and then have the class come up with one decent sentence (6-9 words). Then I write the sentence on the strip and at the end of the month I make a sentence strip booklet for the children to read.

Spelling words for the week

Math Vocabulary Words from the chapter

Science and SS vocabulary words

Use them for art projects: Headbands

Compound words - Write each word of the compound word on a small sentence strip. Then have the children find their partner.

Hope this helps.

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

I use them for our phonics lessons, poems, color songs, math activities, almost anything!!! There are also some great resource books out there for things to do with the pocket chart.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

I think it's funny that you want to use them so now you need ideas! How's that for a marketing culture? :)

Write spelling or sight words on them then cut them apart to make puzzles.

Students love to write on them.

Write a sequence of directions on them.

Use the pocket chart as a center chart.

Use the pocket chart as a center. (poems to put in order, matching words, etc.)

They also have Venn diagram pocket charts.

Write student names on sentence strips. I use these instead of the fancy name plates on tables/desks.

You can also use a pocket chart for a daily sign-in or to designate lunch choices.

6. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

a 2nd grade teacher I used to work with had vocabulary words, but sentences and the kids would have to put the words in context. Put the sentence on a sent. strip and the word on an index card.

7. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

Has anyone used the dry erase sentence strips? They are a little more expensive but you can reuse them!

I also love the ones that have vibrant colors!!

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

dry erase or laminated ones are great :) you can write on them using transparency markers or permanent markers (you'll have to use rubbing alcohol to get the permanent ones off though)