sentence formation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HufflePuff, Oct 20, 2009.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 20, 2009

I have a student who really cannot put a sentence together. He starts sentences with "like" and then goes on and on. Or he will write a sentence like "For example, ice cream." He also doesn't use transitions, punctuation, and his handwriting is illegible. I have spoken with his mother (he is new to the school so i can't talk to other teachers).

Any tips on how to help him? we even just did a whole unit on sentence structure in class!

3. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 20, 2009

I have a couple of possible ideas. 1) Do you have access to the student's cum file? You could go check to see if there are any notes/information in there to help you determine if this has been addressed in some way. Is there an IEP? 2) Was he born in another country? If so, when did he move to the U.S.? Depending on when he moved and started school, issues with sentence structure are quite common. 3) Have you tried allowing him to write out his ideas, terrible sentences and all, then having him go back and look at his writing to fix it to appropriate sentences. I do not like to think about sentence structure when I am first putting my ideas down, but then come back and fix them in later drafts. 4) Give him a physical checklist to decide if his sentences are complete sentences, and then change them into one. 5) He may need something more kinesthetic to get the idea. Take a sentence and put each word onto a strip of paper. Have him move around and/or add words until it is a complete sentence.

I hope one of the ideas helps or sparks and idea with you. It is so frustrating when a student doesn't seem to have learned much after a whole unit.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 21, 2009

Hold onto his writing for a few days. Then call him back and ready what he wrote, just what he wrote. Maybe if he hears that the words don't make sense he can start working on fixing the confusion. I still have a few students who struggle with this.

Are the fragments answers to questions on tests or worksheets or is this just his method of writing? I have banned certain words from ever beginning a sentence in my room because all I get are dependent clauses. It seems the sentences that are answers to questions don't have to actually be sentences anymore.

5. henrycarrey

henrycarrey New Member

Oct 22, 2009

Firstly ask him to focus on his hand writing. Then you can assign some tasks related to grammar. And have careful watch on him.

6. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Oct 22, 2009

Try cloze exercises. (A paragraph with some of the words missing, kind of like fill in the blank.) It helps students think about what makes sense and how sentences work. You can gradually require him to write more and more of the text.