Sensory/water table ideas!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by edukidds, Sep 7, 2006.

1. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

I am looking for new ideas of things to put in my water table aside from water, sand, and rice. I already tried packing peanuts, but the kids only wanted to tear the peanuts apart. I would love to hear about the creative things you put in your water tables (the cheaper the better)! :D

3. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Sep 7, 2006

My last 6 things have been:

-Sand with gold painted rocks and foil pie pans with holes poked in them to pan for gold
    -I put bricks under the legs at one end and pushed the sand to the high end and put water on the low end to make a beach
    -Kept the bricks, drained the water, made a volcano with a formula scoop to add baking soda and a liquid medicine syringe to add the water/vinegar mixture (Kids loved this one)
    -Dirt with rubber fishing worms
    -Red crinkle paper (like for gift bags) with lengths of green crepe paper and rafia, and black ping pong balls to resemble a watermelon (Added scissors for cutting practice)
    -Water with foam bathtub letters to make alphabet soup

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 7, 2006

Water with different sized jar lids - Add pennies to see how many pennies can be placed on the different lids before they sink.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 7, 2006

I just made this up based on a bunch of threads from this site that have been archived, as well as Lori (SpecialPreskool)'s links site... hope it helps! ;)

6. mrod

mrod Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

Here are a few thinga that I use in my sesnory table:

Mud, dirt, sand with glitter, sand and shells, bird seed, cooked spaghetti with food coloring, soapy water, cornstarch and water, shaving cream, paper to cut, cornmeal, raw pumpkins, bubbles, corks, pudding, mashed potatoes, toothpaste, rice and beans, lentils, rice and lavender, flour, chocolate mulch, clean mud (bars of ivory soap shreded on a chesse grater, toilet paper at least a roll, pitcher of water, have the kids mix every thing together and squish everything together until it looks soapy sudsy and cool), coffee grounds, easter grass, oats, ice cubes, pom poms, different types of textures, polyester stuffing and corn husks.

7. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

Wow you guys have great ideas!

This past week I put choc. pudding in there with pigs. We are doing a farm unit. My aides were expectings lots of messes, but there really wasn't any. :)

8. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

We don't have a water table for our use (the preschool has one, but so far, the 2's aren't on the rotation to use it). We'll be using dish pans instead. We aren't allowed to use sand, rice or any food (as per the church)....so we're using water, and shredded paper (like from a cross-cut document shredder).

9. gracieh

gracieh Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

We do popcorn kernels in the fall... they love it... you can buy the big bags at Sams or Cosco...

10. Inspira

Inspira Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

I always bring a big garbage bag of freshly fallen leaves in autumn, and add dinosaurs/animals.

11. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 16, 2006

I use packing peanuts in the winter and I just let the children know before they start that they will not get to go back if they are caught tearing up the packing peanuts. There is also some stuff (not sure what it is called) like fake snow. Not sure what the name of it is but it is rather costy but really cool stuff to play with.

12. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

macaroni noodles ( just pray the kids dont get hungry)

13. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

I have used jello too! The kids loved it and believe it or not, none of them tried to eat it either!!

14. robinmuzik

robinmuzik New Member

Sep 20, 2006

This is only my second week teaching. So far I am the only teacher at our school that has even attempted to utilize the sensory table. I am discovering why that is. It is so messy! Any tips on how to minimize the mess?

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 20, 2006

Do you have something underneath to "catch" the spillage? My mom's program has a couple ofl inoleum tiles they tape down as a "mat" over the carpet, it's easy to sweep up and keep clean. Last year, I had a plastic mat I kept nderneath, it could easily be dumped.

Also... if you make a mess, you need to clean it. Teaches the kids REAL quick to keep the items INSIDE the table. ;)

16. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Kix cereal (for toddlers or early 2's)

17. russiansage

russiansage Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Elbow macaroni has been a hit in my classroom. It is so easy to clean up too.

18. LuvPreKTeachin

LuvPreKTeachin Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

Have any of you had problems with the state about using food in your tables? I was told several years ago that we could no longer use food in art or sand/water table. The state rep who did inspections at the center stated that it was a new policy... that allowing children to "play" with food was a negative statement.

We were going to do a counting art project with M&M's sorting by color. Each kid got a pack of M&M's and was told to sort their pack by colors and glue them to their paper. After they were finished they got a pack to eat. The state lady walked in about half way through the project and repremanded (sp?) me right there in front of my director and my class of 4's. :eek:

19. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

Never had any problem with that. I'm so sorry this happened to you-sounds like you were working well with the kids. My daughter who just started Kindergarten brought home that same type of project/work and she was very excited to show me how she counted her M&Ms.