sensory table...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clarnet73, Aug 18, 2009.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 18, 2009

What do you put in your sensory table at the BEGINNING of the year? (The base material, not necessarily the add-ins... I tend to keep a base material for a few weeks and change out the props, depending on theme)

Something familiar, like sand or water? Something they can't make a mess with, since they aren't as good with the procedures yet?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2009

I like to do water because it isn't messy! Also, I think the warm, sudsy water is very soothing for them and keeps them calmed down. I just hate "noisy" stuff in my table, like corn. It drives me nuts. Sand is "ok," but it is quite messy. Shaving cream is nice, but there is always the risk of some kids rubbing it in their eyes if they are not accustomed to such things. I only allow 2 at my table at a time.

4. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

Week 1 is rainbow rice (colored with liquid water colors). Week 2 is clear water. Weeks 3-4 are colored water (red day, blue day, yellow day...) with matching scoops, bowls, toys, etc. Week 5 is feed corn to pick kernels off the cobs. Week 6 is cornmeal. I usually try to vary my base material every week. I'll bring back popular materials throughout the year.

5. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

I have pinto beans in my sensory table for the first two weeks.

6. Kase

Kase Companion

Aug 19, 2009

I mix it up everyday. Since we have to clean and sanitize the sensory table every day anyway. Plus it gets boring having the same thing in the table everyday.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 19, 2009

I put "sensory balls" in my sensory table: cush balls, stretchy balls, those balls squeeze and things pop out, those balls with pokie things coming out of them.

There's no mess and little instructions aside from don't throw them. That may be a good idea for the first week.

I found a lot of those balls at The Dollar Tree.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

I am a fan of cornmeal. It is messy, but better than flour or sand.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 19, 2009

I have had sand in mine for a while, that I spray with plain water everydat til now it's like beach sand so it's not nearly as messy, and I jsut made discovery bottles with my class and put the extra rice in a small (like the next size up from a shoebox size) rubbermaid bin, with some of the leftovers from the discovery bottles. One child at a time uses it and it has been a big hit.
    They get excited everytime they find an object! I have used clean mud (ivory soap flakes mixed with crushed ice, clean (obviously) ripped up toilet paper, and cold water. It actually lasted for two weeks before i had to trash it. Plain water, colored rice, colored pasta noodles, (add strings for them to make necklaces),shredded paper with different colored erasers or different shaped erasers, have all been big hits.

10. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

This year, for the first few weeks my table is full of over 1000 bouncy balls. Along with accessories that go with them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, I'll put in the drinking straws that have been cut into segments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Aug 19, 2009

I have craft pom poms in the sensory table for the 1st couple of weeks. I include tongs & bottles for children to pick up the pom poms and drop them in the bottles. It's good for fine motor & not messy. I leave the same sensory table as long as the children are interested in it. When they get bored, I change it. They usually are interested for a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 19, 2009

Oooooooh I love the straws and the pompoms! Cool ideas!!!

I was going to suggest dried beans like butterbeans or pintos.

13. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Do you cut all of the straws yourself?

14. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Aug 20, 2009

I'll keep lentils in my table for a long while. I'm new to this school and there's not a collection of sensory table "stuff". So I'll replace as my budget allows. I may end up with lentils until a put in corn in Oct.

At my old school we would start with lentils and keep them for a few weeks. Then it was usually beans or water play.

I love the idea of straws and balls.

15. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

YES. About 2,000 straws cut into 5-7 segments each. The kids love them.

16. PreK111

PreK111 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

I'm going to the Dollar Store to buy straws!!!! ANd balls, and more pompoms! And beans, and anything else I see!!! Your ideas are awesome!!! That's why i love it here! :p

17. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

Don't get all of your straws at one store. I found that each store has their own distinct color assortment of straws. Wal-Mart, Kroger, Dollar Tree, Meijer, Target, all have different varieties.

18. PreK111

PreK111 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

Thanks for the ideas and advise!

19. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Aug 22, 2009

I just ordered balls from oriental trading! I can't wait to put them in my table. At the end of last year we were told no more sand, water or dirt so I need to come up with more ideas. I love being in the public school system but sometimes they forget that we are the pre k hallway!

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 22, 2009

21. educ8or

educ8or Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

Just curious where you get your corn feed from and if the childrne are able to pick the kernales off themselves? Thanks!

22. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Aug 22, 2009

23. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Educ8or...I usually get feed corn at Wal-Mart, sold as corn for squirrels. The children love picking the kernels off, some easily, some have to work at it. I save the kernels for another sensory table filler, or fill pantyhose legs with some for bungee painting. Another great material at Wal-Mart is the ground corn cob litter for small pets. It resembles gravel but no dust.

24. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I get my feed corn from local farmers! Gotta love living in central pa! Most of my threes have to work at getting it off, but they love it. We paint with the cornless cobs when they are empty!