Sensory table ideas please!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SamIAm, May 8, 2010.

1. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 8, 2010

Let me begin by explaining that I run a home daycare so it is just me and 6 kids ranging in age from 20 months to 4 years old so I'm trying to meet a range of needs. I like having a sensory table for the kids, but I have a couple who still do not follow the rules for using the table: 1. don't dump on the floor and 2. don't pour over other people. Because of this, I am hesitant to try things like flour, cornstarch, or any other substances that have the potential for making a serious mess especially if they're dumped over other's heads (their favorite thing to do unfortunately). I am trying to work with them on this by using items that are fun, but not sooo messy with the hope that I will be able to introduce more as time goes on. We used cheerios for the past couple weeks, and they loved it, but I'd like to try something new. I am hesitant to try beans or pom poms, or anything that might be a choking hazard since my youngest still puts things in her mouth. I thought of doing rice, but I am at a loss otherwise. Any ideas? Thanks!

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 8, 2010

Shredded paper?

I did cooked spaghetti once! It was only good for a day, but they LOVED it.

4. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 8, 2010

I did something like the shredded paper already.

Spaghetti - Yuck! I like it. ;)

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 9, 2010

Cornmeal.

6. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

May 9, 2010

This is a side step to the sensory table but, If their favorite activity is 'dumping things on the other persons head' then why don't you find something (like christmas present bows) that they can dump on each other and place that activity in a different part of the room. By keeping the activity but relocating it they will learn that they cannot dump the contents of the sensory table on their heads, there are other things for that.

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 9, 2010

Here is the best link for ideas for sensory table contents. I love this presentation...I have to make a copy of it for myself to keep in my files. I always go crazy trying to find the link when I need something new.
    Check it out- http://www.jonti-craft.com/Sensory/player.html

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 9, 2010

Two things come to mind is to take away the "dumping objects". If they only have things like popsicle sticks, slotted spoons, and cars, they are not going to have anything to pour with. The other thing is to get a cheap brush and dust pan and if they do throw things, or even accidentally spill, they learn to clean it up themselves. Anyone throwing or dumping sand loses sensory table privileges for that day and/or the next day, if they do it again they lose it for a week (and that is the week that you put REALLY cool stuff in there!).

9. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 9, 2010

different textured paper and foam with scissors

ribbon, string, and yarn with scissors

jumbo big noodles with big pipe cleaners and big string

water

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2010

I've done the pasta before and that was FUN! :)

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 10, 2010

I have a list at home. I will try to remember to post it tonight.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

13. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 11, 2010

Wow! Thank you so much for the great ideas and awesome links!

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 23, 2010

seed corn is good and fairly easy to clean up, what about an assortment of different pieces of cloth cut up into small suares or shapes? packing peanuts, what about mowing your lawn and potting the grass clippings in for a day (add pipe cleaners bent into squiggly shapes for caterpillars or toy bugs), (makesure no one is allergic to grass first), take some old playdough or make a batch and put in there without anything else and see what they do with it. squishy balls (you can get foam ones,and rubber ones with tickly "spines" at the dollar store)

15. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

May 23, 2010

Do you have room inside for a plastic kiddie pool that the "dumpers" could sit inside and dump and pour as much as they want?