Sensory Motor

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by mandy0316, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mandy0316

mandy0316 Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

I was told I may get a new student with some sensory motor problems. That is all I know so far. Any advice/tips? Thanks! I'm stressing!

3. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 13, 2006

Be prepared sensory kids normally have a lot of energy. I would look up Pervasive Developmental Disorders and look at some classroom tips for those kids, they get overstimulated real easy so there are some things you can do to help, like allowing them to hang from the monkey bars for 5 minutes, don't make them sit in circle time if they want to stand in circle time then. There are other tips too, butit has been a while since I had a PDD student to remember all the stuff. Once you learn some little tricks, it will be fine, ask the mom or the previous school some key tips to dealing with them, like if he is a hitter could they say quiet hands and he put them in his lap , does singing calm him down, etc.

Good luck

4. sva

sva Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

What level do you teach? I teach preschool with special needs so this may not help..
    Sensory motor used to sound complicated to me but it is easier to integrate these activities now. Things like marching around the room or in the hall, bouncing on a mini-tramp, bouncing on one of those big therapy balls,pushing walls (yep, just what it sounds like!), swings, rolling the child up in a blanket to make a "sandwich" or pillow play. My occupational therapist was very helpful. She had a "sensory diet" assessment that helped us know what activities would be appropriate and preferred. She then helped us integrate those activities into our day. I have found that these activities help many of my kids, just for a break or to help with transitions.
    I hope this is helpful.