Seniors Last Day

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by rbschreiber@gma, May 28, 2014.

1. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

May 28, 2014

Hey fellow teachers,

This is my first year teaching seniors, and I LOVE them. I have connected with so many of them, and when I think about their graduation day I get so sad.

I want to do something special their last day. I have 111 of them, so I can't really go too crazy. Obviously there are a handful that I feel really bonded with, so I've considered maybe writing them a personal letter to open after graduation or the like.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with something like this?

Thanks so much!

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 28, 2014

I have about 70 seniors each year. I write all of them a short letter. I give it to them on their last day. It takes awhile, but it is worth it.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 28, 2014

My first two years I had them write letters to their future selves. I kept them and mailed them out the next year.

This year I did senior footprints. We watched them on the last day. What a great way to end the year. It's definitely a project I'll be doing again.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 28, 2014

I have 175 seniors, so writing a letter to each is kind of out of the question. I write personal notes in their yearbooks if they ask me to sign, of course.

My tradition is to give them homemade chocolate chip cookies and to read "Oh, the Places You'll Go" to them. And cry. That's coming up next week for me.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 28, 2014

I remember (not teacher, but family) got invited to everyone's grad party....had a small class. But they got everyone a card and put a penny in from the year we graduated in it.

7. point88

point88 New Member

Jun 6, 2014

I had around 125 seniors this year, and I wrote them personal letters to give out on their last day. It took so, so long, but in the end I really think it was worth it. I'd recommend it if you have the time. It's something they'll be able to hold onto forever, and they'll never forget the things you say to them in that letter. Really special way to end the year.

8. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 8, 2014

I usually only have 12-20 seniors, but I am the only teacher of my subject (Latin) and I have my students for all four years so we bond. Graduation is always bittersweet. This year is especially bittersweet because I am leaving too for another teaching job.

This sounds super pretentious, but this year I composed a short Latin farewell poem and gave them each a card with the poem on it. We spent part of the final class translating it.

9. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jun 13, 2014

Look at the Oriental Trading Company see what small things they have. If there is a class joke maybe a little figurine may be fun!

Buying it in bulk helps with the cost!