"Senioritis"

Discussion in 'High School' started by FPC DJ, Jan 5, 2008.

1. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

Any 12th grade teachers out there?
    Any way, I was wondering how you all deal with Senioritis, the legendary condition the affects seniors. The most common symptoms are daydreaming, lack of motivation to complete work, and the feeling of superiority over the other students.
    Do any of your kids behave like this? (silly question):)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2008

I don't have Seniors this year, but have taught them many times before.

The thing that I have found to be most helpful is to juggle the material a bit so the easiest things come last. That way you still have a shot at getting through to the Seniors, even while they're afflicted with the dread disease you mention. They're still accountable for the material, but can manage it without nearly the effort that the other chapters require.

It depends on the course, but I managed it pretty well in Precalculus, less so in Intro to Calc.

4. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jan 5, 2008

The first semester with my Seniors went well, and I didn't have too much "senioritis" going on. But now that it's second semester and they more or less know where they're going for college and what-have-you, I suspect it'll be a little more difficult to keep their attention fully.

Of course, I still have the fact that they have to pass my class to graduate on my side!

5. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

I'm at the stage where I get bored with the work because of how repetative it is, but I at least get it done.

I just wasn't sure if there was anything other teachers were doing, that maybe I can use for myself and pass along to my friends.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2008

Once they receive college acceptances, it reaches a whole new level. Then after Easter/Spring break, it's at an all time high. (And Easter is EARLY this year!!!)

7. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jan 5, 2008

I take senioritis as a sign that they are ready to go on and graduate. Frankly, I am more concerned about the senior who doesn't want to leave school and is more than just a little scared to graduate.
    After struggling with second semester seniors for years I changed my tactics. About the last month of school I have them do a project instead of taking a final exam. Their project has to be a big deal and represent what they have learned in their four years of Spanish. I have students do everything from making a welcome video of the school for non-English speaking students, to translating medical brochures that were used by doctors traveling to Mexico, to writing children's book in Spanish. It has been great. It shows that I recognize that they are independent learners and it gives them a chance to put their skills to the test.

I also do remind seniors that their second semester grades do count. I have had many tell me that they have already been accepted by a college so all they need to do is graduate. But it is not the case! When I was a junior in college I was offered a scholarship where I had to have my transcript from high school and of course it has my last semester grades on it.

On a side note, I had a student once who was not accepted into a university even though she had good grades because of her attendance! She was not aware that her cumulative absences appeared on her transcript.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2008

Yes, we mention that too... college acceptance is contingent on graduating high school.

And we DO have several Seniors in summer school each year!!

9. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

So.......in a nutshell, use scare tactics?

10. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jan 5, 2008

Not necessarily scare tactics. But they need to know that their grades for the second semester do count; they may not factor in the GPA used for determining class rank (if your school ranks), but most colleges require the eight-semester transcript following high school graduation. As a matter of fact, many of our colleges have admission pending based on final grades.

11. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

ah, yes....I never was very good at finding the main idea : )

So I should just remind myself, and my friends, that we have to keep it up?

12. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jan 5, 2008

Yes, remind them, as you have in your profile, that you guys are "not quite there yet."

13. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

will do
    Thanks everyone!

14. AuRatio

AuRatio Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

*gasps* Oh dear. I had chronic health problems (mostly flu and seizures) in my sophomore and junior years, and ended up missing a lot of days, maybe a month or two of school. I didn't know they put that on the record!

I have had VERY few absences my senior year so far (I think the least ever in my life!) I would be so disappointed if, despite all the progress I've made, that something like that would keep me from being accepted.

I have been taking college courses at the community college, and they are BY FAR easier than anything I ever took in junior high or high school. The material is more advanced, yes, but - little to no homework! I can do term papers and projects, if I have help scheduling it out, breaking it into pieces, but daily homework assignments are killer filler no-fun time (except for math, because math isn't a spectator sport).

So, ironically, I have a 3.73 GPA in college but only a 2.0 or something in high school, 10-12. In college, I get all A's and one C (beginning life drawing), whereas in high school I have tons of B's and C's, and a couple of D's, plus a few NM's. Fall semester of senior year seems much better, though!

For me, senioritis manifested in not wanting to do homework and procrastinating on projects. Luckily, I was on a special plan anyway for things like homework (I do excellent on tests; the more homework I have to do the more my grade on tests drops). Then again, I've always procrastinated, and I'm doing better academically this year than before (I think mostly A's and B's).

For me, the primary manifestation has been in my attitude towards school. Especially since I've seen college, and am currently taking astronomy, astronomy lab, and survey of american history, that I feel eager to get out of high school. I did, however, come close to failing in marine science even though I was getting B's and A's on tests because of organizational skills, so we worked on organizational skills in my IEP, and I put all my work together. Now I should be fine.

I think I'm getting a B, though I had a bad back injury on the morning midway in finals week (of COURSE) as I didn't want to be late for the bus, and was in agony taking the exam. I think one question I didn't fully answer, just drew a diagram or something.

15. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jan 20, 2008

Well, this student did end up attending a community college and then transfering which she could show them that she was excelling. I think you are on the right track! I would also ask to see the exact transcript that is sent to colleges.

16. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

I think in my entire school career I've missed three days.

17. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2008

I'm the parent of a senior!! I forgot about senioritis!!! Maybe that's what's going on!

:eek::p

18. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

I'm sure it is.....I've got it BIG TIME right now.

19. AuRatio

AuRatio Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

I wouldn't normally mind taking the community college route, but my parents are moving across the country to upstate New York this fall most likely, and, having been in southern California for all my life, I would have difficulty going to school and studying in the snow, in such a different environment. I get sick very easily, and I have never been in the snow.

20. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

AHHH!!! I have three senior classes! And these kids just went into their slump period. They were three LAZY classes anyways, so now they're even worse. The bad part is that you can't penalize them for not showing up for class because the school has this unofficial policy against giving seniors "no credit" grades for skipping. They'll give no credit to 9th, 10th and 11th graders, but god forbid you keep a student from going to college! Oy vey.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2008

My son has it bad!

22. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

my teacher just yelled at us:whistle:

23. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

The only way my seniors are happy is when I am not there (and as a first year teacher I have had to use many sick days already...germy kids!). I'll have some kids poke their heads in to see if I'm here and then say "oh, you're here...too bad." *sigh* They're too lazy to even watch a movie, if you can believe it.

24. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

those lazy fools:(
    they'll be welcoming a movie next year:lol:

25. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

Well said!

26. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

Why thank you
    :D
    Have you told them that, about the movie, I mean?

27. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

I will tell them that next time they roll their eyes at a movie. Usually I say "would you rather I lecture for the next hour? No? Then you will quietly watch the movie."

28. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Jan 22, 2008

My teachers usually say, "Well, it's either that, or this AWESOME math movie I borrowed from one of the math teachers."

29. MrScience

MrScience New Member

Feb 1, 2008

I like the idea of projects for late in the second semester. I also try to fit in lots of labs (Chemistry and Physical Science) to keep the students moving and focused. After NCLB testing is also a good time for eye-catching demonstrations.

30. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Feb 2, 2008

I've had conversations with some students who have told me flat out, "I'm not doing any work once I get into a college. It doesn't matter anymore after that. I don't even know why we have to have the second half of senior year." These are normally good, smart kids, too! I have to be careful not to let it get to me, because it's hard to be motivated to spend the time to plan interesting things when you know the students really don't want to do anything. I would love to think of a really interesting project or unit to do at the end of the year to keep them at least showing up for class.

31. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Feb 2, 2008

Wait a moment now, are you saying teachers get sick a lot?

32. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Feb 2, 2008

Who? Me? Nope....not at all.

33. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 4, 2008

Yes - it has hit full force at my house - the dreaded senioritis :eek:

It's even worse teaching at the same school as your senior with chronic seniortis - class pranks, tardies, etc.... I am beginning to dread seeing my VP heading my way.

34. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

My principal actually told us we could only have Senioritis if we have an A in all of our classes.
    Anyone see anything wrong with that statement?

35. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 9, 2008

YES - my daughter has A's in all of her classes :eek:

36. mswill

mswill New Member

Feb 14, 2008

Senioritis

I am a Senior Project Adviser and I am seeing so much Senioritis this year. Some of the senior's are putting off their projects and deadlines which all of these are required for them to graduate.

I call parents and get "yea yea", " I know", blah, blah, blah. So I let the kids know that this project is for you to complete school and that I will not bend on your deadlines, so if you don't turn your projects in then I won't see you at graduation.

Eventually some come around, but for some they are scrambling the day before trying to get their projects done and tears are flowing and they are stressed out. I sit back and quietly laugh and remind them that they know it all and they do not have to follow the rules and listen because they are Seniors. They really hate that.

I know this is not a cure for Senioritis, but sometimes you just can't let it stress you out.

37. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Feb 14, 2008

Senioritis has struck again!!!!

Wednesday, February 13, was LHS's Senior Skip Day. A total of 132 out of 432 seniors participated in the unofficial, student established, holiday. Most teachers resorted to scare tactics in an effort to ensure their students' attendance that day. Many warned that they would be awarding extra points to those who did have the moral fiber to grace them with their presence, while other, perhaps more good-natured (incidentally) female teachers asked that if their students insisted on playing truant that day, they at least bring them chocolate on Valentine's Day.

Wow...that could have been a news article :D

38. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Feb 14, 2008

We don't have to worry about skip days here. Our principal made it quite clear that skip days would result in the cancellation of prom and the senior picnic.

39. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Feb 15, 2008

So did ours....but we still had people who skipped. That's life in Tiny Town.

40. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Feb 19, 2008

Oh wow, it's bad. They all had video projects that were due on 1/29 and half of them have been turned in. It's 100 points, but many will be taking zeroes.

I was just talking to another teacher today who feels the same way- it's at the point where I am leaving the ball in their court; I'm not going to get on them anymore to turn in their work. I'm just sick of being more concerned about their grade than they are.

41. FPC DJ

FPC DJ Rookie

Feb 19, 2008

Have you told your kids that? My teachers flat out told us at the beginning of the year that this year was totally up to us. It's been working for some of us, anyway.