Senioritis & Giving Up

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by RubyOnRails, May 11, 2009.

1. RubyOnRails

RubyOnRails Rookie

May 11, 2009

What do you do about students that

1.) They are seniors and they know they are going to pass and thus just stop caring - senioritis. Their attitude is "Well, I'm going to pass this dumb class, I can just skate by and do little to no work."

2.) Students that have an F and have just given up. Their attitude is "Well, I'm going to fail anyway, why should I do anything"

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

I am just glad that my seniors are gone--they finished up last week and they were driving me crazy!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 11, 2009

For senioritis I just keep moving forward, I don't buy into the concept and that keeps some of my students from falling off on their class work. For some, they sink into senioritis and their grade falls ... I send a letter home with the info. Not sure it makes a change, but at least mama won't be surprised when her B student rounds out her senior year with a D.

For the second group, the I'm failing why try ... Of course I try all the things in the book to keep them from getting there, but if I have a student that has truly given up ... When assignments don't come in I have her sign a pink slip (name, date, assignment, reason for not submitting ... failure to complete pink slip = office referral). I keep these pink slips on file. When I send a letter home, these are photocopied and sent along. Some students hate filling these out and end up doing the real work instead. Some students fill them out with pride ...

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 11, 2009

I always try to plan projects for the last two weeks of school. I haven't taught seniors in awhile but boy do I remember senioritis:)

We only have two full weeks left of school with two exam days the Tuesday and Wednesday after Memorial Day. My AP kids really are finished and we watch movies - they really deserve the down time. My World History students are completing a Time Travel project - going back in time to witness 5 events. My world Geograpy students are planning a trip to each continent, what they would see, how they would get there, ect . . I have found over the years that these projects keep my students on task, the projects are some what enjoyable and creative enough to let them use the other sides of their brains.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

I agree at this time of the year keeping them busy is important. After spring break, we built and shot rockets and then built bridges in a competition.

7. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 11, 2009

My underclassmen do that year-in, year-out. Put the assignment on the board, tell them, "Do it, don't do it, it's up to you and you (the student) have to live with the result." Don't stress yourself out.

8. RubyOnRails

RubyOnRails Rookie

May 11, 2009

Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 11, 2009

I have 12 days left with my seniors. They have a big project due at the end of the month that they includes a presentation, so I'm trying to keep them focused on that. The last set of progress reports comes out this week, and I know I'll get a bunch of "Is there anything I can do to raise my grade?" questions. My usual answer is that they should have done the work I assigned during the year.

10. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 12, 2009

I allow retakes on my exams so failing students can recover if they are willing to do the work and I put the pressure on them to do it.

My final is also 15% of the course grade so you're not going to be able to skate unless you've got an average that's in the 90's and most of the students with those kinds of grades don't want to risk their A.

11. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

May 12, 2009

I only have the rest of this week left with my seniors. We just have final exams (which I don't give to AP classes) left.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

I have a few students who gave up at the beginning of the semester because they got an F the first semester. Even though they can make that up in summer school if they pass the second semester, they have decided to do nothing because they are going to take whole year over next year. I don't think there is much one can do if the kids have given up but try and find what is important to them and see if you can use that to motivate them.

What I have done for the entire class is late in the semester to offer to give my students what they get on the cumulative final as their grade for the semester if it trumps their average per the department policy. It motivates some of them to try. Very few actually score well enough to take advantage of the offer. My justification for doing this is that they still have to demonstrate mastery of the material, which is what the class is all about. Think of this as a form of differentiation in assessment. The standards are still the same, only the method of assessment has changed.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 21, 2009

I am a firm believer in the process. I think the process of learning is just important as the end result.