Senior Skip Day?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ms.irene, May 16, 2016.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 16, 2016

Today is our unofficial "senior skip day" -- prom was this weekend and apparently, this is the day where all/almost all the seniors stay home (or do whatever they do....)! I am just curious, does your school culture include something similar? What are your thoughts on it? I know our school loses out on the ADA funds, but to be perfectly honest, I chaperoned prom and was there from 6:30-11:30 Saturday night and I will be glad if I get some free time today to get caught up on grading!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 16, 2016

Ours is in the fall and often coincides with the opening day of the fair.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 16, 2016

I don't know about the schools around here, but when I was in high school, it was always on a Friday in April. It was the same day that the Freshmen took the PSAT, the Sophomores took the practice ACT, and the Juniors took the PSAE, so the Seniors had no reason to be at school. So that day was always Senior Ditch Day! Almost as if the school planned it... :)

5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 16, 2016

I know when I was in HS, the school set up a poison pill to combat Senior Skip Day. If you had any unexcused absences, you had to take all your finals that you otherwise wouldn't have to take. They didn't think ahead enough to realize that most parents would just call us off and we did the same thing.

6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

May 16, 2016

Our senior skip day was on the day of the prom, since our prom was always on Friday night. Admin tried throwing around the "if you aren't in school you can't go to prom" but didn't enforce it. I signed myself out after 2nd block to get my hair done lol

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 16, 2016

We had a school sanctioned senior skip day when I was in high school. Seniors had a barbecue and played for the day at a nearby lake.

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

May 16, 2016

Ours was close to graduation in HS. We were threatened by the school that if we skipped they were going to add on another day of school for the seniors. I have no clue what we even did, probably went to a friends house.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 16, 2016

When I was in high school, our school didn't have senior skip day. I am not a fan of this day. I think high schools can do better to come up with a special day for the seniors than to have them skip school IMO.

mathmagic likes this.
  10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 17, 2016

Out of my two sections of 32 seniors each, I had a grand total of two students show up yesterday! It was a nice chance for me to get ahead on grading their final projects (online portfolios) and to check in via email with those who haven't completed the requirements. It was also pretty fun talking to the two guys who actually showed up. They made good use of the time. I have no idea what the others were up to!

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 17, 2016

It isn't a sanctioned day. The schools don't allow it or encourage it. But it traditionally is the Friday before prom.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 18, 2016

I feel like the Friday before would almost make sense since so many apparently had hair/nail/makeup/whoknowswhat appointments the day before (supposedly). But then again, none of this is officially "scheduled" and isn't supposed to make sense!

13. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 2, 2016

Our prom is Saturday night, and Senior Skip Day is the following Monday. It's not encouraged or anything, but it's tradition. We're a small school, and our senior classes are around 100 students. I'd say half of those probably skip on SSD. We have a lot of seniors that take college courses on our campus via satellite, and they can't/won't skip those.