Senior Privileges

Discussion in 'High School' started by ELA 11 12, Nov 3, 2008.

1. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Nov 3, 2008

Our district formed a committee to revamp our senior privilege program. Here's the criteria if a senior has a 75% average in each class that senior may:

1. attend a senior study hall
    2. come to school later if that senior's schedule starts with study halls
    3. leave early if that senior's day ends in study halls

Because the students have been complaining, many teachers think the bar is too high for this privilege.

The initial thought is that if a student has less than a 75% then the student should be working in a quiet study hall on that subject instead of socializing in the senior lounge (monitored by a faculty member).

What does your district do?

Some other arguments include:

• IEP students not meeting this level of achievement but working as hard as their skills allow.
    • Students will stop taking challenging courses as seniors in order to get the privilege.
    • Students worked hard to make it to their senior year, now we are punishing them for not working hard enough in their senior year.

:thumb::thanks: for your input!

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 3, 2008

My seniors don't get any privlegess, none zilch, nada. I wish they did.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2008

Our Seniors are allowed to park their cars on property once they bring the registration and their license, and get a parking sticker.

They go to Grad Night at Disney World in March. I forget the cost, but it's not subsidized by the school at all.

That's it!

Oops, I forgot a bit one:

They do end classes about a month before the rest of the building. We hold our graduation ceremony at a local college. The date we can get is in early June; our school doesn't get out until a few weeks after that. So our Seniors do get out earlier than the rest of the school.

(By that point in the year, we can't wait to see them go.)

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2008

Our seniors come in for their first scheduled period and leave after their last, but they must be on campus for five periods. They get first crack at parking permits for the student lot, they have a senior picnic on one of the days that the rest of the school is doing standardized testing, and they go to grad night at Disneyland if they buy the $75 ticket. There's no such thing as a senior lounge here!

6. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 9, 2008

They're allowed to enter and leave the building during off periods but have to go through the side entrance where they have to sign in/out with security (if they are late coming back more than 2 x per quarter, they're name goes on a "May Not Leave" list).

They can come to school after 2nd period or leave after 7th (depends on their schedule).

Oh, and from Sophomore year up they're allowed to order take out to the building (my personal favorite!).

7. roco07

roco07 Rookie

Dec 15, 2008

Our seniors have a "Senior Bell" which rings 3 minutes before the final bell so any seniors who have that final class period can get to their cars earlier.

Anyone who has a study hall instead of a class period in the last period can leave, so that's not really a Senior privelege but for the most part only seniors have that study hall slot.

And one of the 2 schools I teach at has too many students for their cafeteria, so seniors are allowed to eat in a hallway or outside. Someone has the duty of monitoring them, but it seems to work well.

8. kfhsdramaqueen

kfhsdramaqueen Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

Senior privileges! Why is making it to your senior year grant you privileges. I have seniors that are there for the third time. I don't believe it them. We have them- leave class 5 minutes early before lunch at the end of the day, eat outside, that's it. I don't honor them, because our administration leaves it to our discretion.

9. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Feb 6, 2009

The bar is too high?! At my school, they get those same priveleges as seniors if they have a 90% (so it's basically an honor society privelege). However, they have to be taking a minimum # of credits.

10. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 6, 2009

When I was a senior in highschool I got:

To leave school early--10mins early
    We got to sit on the floor at peperallys (the floor meaning down and not in the balcany)
    We got to sit on the front rows at assemblys.
    Seniors have finals a week before normal finals so that they can get out sooner. Which puts them out about 2-3 weeks sooner than everyone else but graduation is not until school officially ends.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 6, 2009

At the school I went to students could eat anywhere they wanted as long as they did not leave school grounds. SO, that is not a senior rule.