Sending work for ski vacations??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Two4One, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Two4One

Two4One New Member

Jan 21, 2009

I've got a few kids taking time off for ski vacations. (so jealous!). Do you send extra work, or make them suffer the consequences of incompletes for missed work? (missing 3-4 days)

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 21, 2009

What is your school's policy? I would be pretty grumpy about having to get together all that work for a vacation. Illness is one thing, but skiing...there have been discussions about this before on here, I remember. If your school says yes, you probably will have to. If your school does not have a policy, and you want to, go for it. I wouldn't give them 0's, if that's what you're asking...you'll have parents hot...

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 21, 2009

These type of absences have to be approved by the principal. Even if it is approved we don't send it before, they get it when they return. Excused absences have as many days as missed to make up the work. Miss 3 days, get 3 days to complete and turn in the work. Unexcused absences aren't supposed to get make up work/days. However, some teachers will give it anyway.

5. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Jan 21, 2009

This happens every year in my class. I use to prepare work for them, but I don't do that anymore. It's too much work for me and it usually comes back incomplete anyway. Now, I just tell the students and their parents that they are responsible for making up the missed work when they get back.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2009

I'd wait until the student returns before handing out work.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 21, 2009

This happens to me every year too. I find it really annoying. I don't usually send work with them, but collect work to take home for extra HW when they get back. Kids rarely seem to do the work I send with them so I don't bother anymore like I used to.

8. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Jan 21, 2009

I always send work home with a student if they are taking a family vacation...as long as they ask for it ahead of time. The planning of vacations is beyond the control of the child, and so I do not see any reason to punish the child and overload them with work when they return. It's not that much of an inconvenience to gather their work ahead of time.

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 21, 2009

I give them what I have ready if they ask. I had a parent the day before Christmas break tell me they werent coming back until Jan 13. I had a few things for the student to work on. The parent told me "Kindergarten isn't important so we can go on vacation.."

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 21, 2009

I tell the parents to take their kids, have a great time, and write their daily experiences in a journal so they can share with the class when they return.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2009

Neither- Homework for me is reinforcement of well-taught lessons...you miss the lesson, you don't get the homework until you return to school...I refuse to do the extra work of getting a pile of work together for a kid who is going away for fun- in most cases they don't even do it...They can have it on their return with a few days to complete it...

12. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Jan 21, 2009

For "fun" trips I make a pile on their desk. It is waiting for them when they return.

13. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Jan 22, 2009

Our district does not allow us to give work ahead of time. The idea is to get parents to take vacations that line up with the school vacations. Of course, this doesn't always work or is not always possible, so the kids are not penalized for the work. They get a week to get it all in from the date they come back.

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 23, 2009

I overload them unless they check with me first.