Sending student pictures to parents?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Birdie86, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Aug 29, 2015

I'm a first year Kinder teacher so I'm not quite in the "know" of how to do some things. To keep in touch with my parents I send emails and have a class newsletter that's electronic. I will be taking pics of my kinders often and have already taken cute individual first day photos that I want the parents to see/have but what is the best way to show those off? They don't have my cell # and I don't think I want them to so I can't text them each their child's picture. What's the best way to do this? I'm also sure that Johnny's mom won't want to see a pic of little Susie so I'm assuming I should send them individually but that's a lot of emails!

I've looked into Remind 101, I don't know if you can do pics on there or not, but I'm not even sure if I want to do that yet. I usually write a lot in my emails unless it's just a quick reminder or update so I don't know if Remind would really work in that case (still don't know too much about it I just know it's like a messenger where you can send reminders or something?).

What do you guys do to send photos individually and whole class?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 29, 2015

A lot of this is going to depend on your school's comfort level with social media and photo sharing in general. My school is super active on social media of all kinds, so we have lots of sharing venues. I have a class Instagram, Facebook page, and Twitter. I also have a blog. I share photos on all these platforms.

If you are sharing individual photos, you may need to email them individually. I'm not sure how else you would do it. We have Google everything at our school, so last year I would share a Google Drive folder of photos from a field trip or whatever with parents who asked for pictures. I guess you could also do this with pictures of individual students, but as you said they will only want the photo of their child.

I tend to just share on social media and if they ask me for certain photos (which actually hasn't happened much), I'll share those with the parent who asked.

*NOTE: We have permission for all of this. I realized this thread may turn into one of those "student photos should not be posted or shared anywhere for any reason EVER!" threads. It really is all about the culture of your school. Our families come in knowing about our use of social media and they love and embrace it.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 29, 2015

I set up a photobucket account just for my school photos and I set all pictures to private/needs a password to access. I will email parents the link and the password. That way if they ever want to access the photos, they don't have to contact me again about needing them.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2015

You know, I would be looking for a quick and easy way to print the picture and send home the hard copy. I have access to a color laser printer at home that prints photos beautifully, so I would print them at home, and then share the hard copy directly to home.

If you are going to go the route of sharing online, check with admin and find out about their policies and privacy requirements. Sending home the hard copy that only displays one student probably is not an issue. Posting somewhere might be a hassle, but the district guidelines will have to be followed.

Good luck!

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 29, 2015

We keep them until the end of the year and put them in a video. We then sell the video for a small price to cover the CD price and make a small profit for our classroom. Some of our kindergarten teachers made over $300 last year. Two teachers gave the CDs as end of the year gifts.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2015

As others have said--check your school and district policies regarding sharing the photos with parents as these will differ from place to place. I try to take all photos off of my personal device (phone or iPad) the same day.

8. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 29, 2015

If you use Class Dojo they just implemented photo sharing into their messenger. You can send out pictures to all parents or just a certain one.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2015

I take a lot of pictures in the classroom as well. They are easy to take on an IPAD. Then, I e-mail a couple of them throughout the year, but I show more at conferences and at the end of the year slide shows which the parents love.

While most parents might be fine with Remind 101 or other social media, there often will be at least one who won't. Printing takes up even more time and an added expense, so I wouldn't recommend that. I would stick to e-mailing, displaying them at conferences or parent nights, and possibly a Class Dojo as Ms C recommended.

10. Gerelt

Gerelt Rookie

Aug 31, 2015

If you want to share the pictures you would need to get permision from the school and parents.