Sending resumes

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by kidatheart, May 22, 2006.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 22, 2006

Hi, I need some advise.
    How many times can you send resumes to the same school district.
    I sent a resume for one position in early May, but now there is another position in the same district that I'd be interested in.
    How do I handle that?
    :confused:

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 22, 2006

I would send another resume w/ a cover letter specifically stating the job you are interested in. Good luck.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 22, 2006

I send separate resumes for every position that I apply to within a district.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 22, 2006

I do the same as Beth. And most districts want you to fill out an application for each position. One district I applied to had 6 positions I applied to them all. I sent a resume packet for each position.

6. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 22, 2006

I don't know how it is in other states, but in Colorado I was searching the district websites and filling out district applications... then when I saw a specific opening I sent a cover letter, resume, and 2 letters of recommendation to the principal of the school with the opening, even if that is not what the district said to do. The only interviews I got were in schools I sent a packet to that never asked for one... AND I WAS JUST OFFERED A FIRST GRADE POSITION!! This will be my first year teaching and I really think a good cover letter to the person that does the hiring is what you need! It makes them think of you even though you may not look good on paper because of lack of experience. Good luck!

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 22, 2006

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I am feeling a little...ummm... rejected right now. I, like everyone else, have sent out so many resumes! But I'm not even getting phone calls at all!! It's so disheartening!
    OH, Miss R, I am SOOO jealous! I would love a first grade!
    Share with us your cover letter ideas please!!

8. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 22, 2006

I fill out one application for each school district and then update my online application and send out emails to the positions I qualify for.

I keep it all straight by using an excel program that shows which positions I have applied for, when I last contacted the HR department, and when the position closes.

9. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 22, 2006

kidatheart: I sent you a PM with my cover letter. Hope it's useful!

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 22, 2006

It is super! I always wonder if I am saying the right things. This will give me a "jumping off" point!!! thank you so much!

11. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

May 22, 2006

I think that is terrific, Miss R! Congrats. Please do share the cover letter!!. I am beginning to seriously doubt my letter writing ability, after sending out 45 resume's with coverletters in April and May and so far absolutely no response.:eek:
    Oh yeah... I am not a recent graduate. I am a returning teacher who is recertified, raised her kids and now wants to teachelementary. I always get people who think I should teach 8th graders.... YUCK. I just don't like that grade, and those kids generally do not like me. It makes me nervouse when they are taller than me, have jail records, and some can drive their own cars in the eightth grade!!:eek:
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get a teaching job a.s.a.p.. I just don't know. :confused: Were your letters emailed, or snail mailed? I am not sure what to do since my references are online with the state recruiting office, and I have no access to see them per the recruitment center's recommendation. ( which happens to be my alma mater, but I am not real confident in their abilities to maintain records... they've lost my transcripts multiple times, and I graduated from there!! :eek: But as far as I know it's the only game in town.

12. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 22, 2006

Well, I don't see why I shouldn't share my cover letter publicly... teachers aren't plaigarizers, right? ;) Here it is, no critiques please, I am just sharing to help people with ideas.

May 3, 2006

Principal Name
    Principal
    ______ Elementary
    Address

Ms. _______,

I am interested in the primary grade teaching positions in your school. I am familiar with ______ School District through the website and have looked at your school’s website as well. I will be moving to the ________ area and know I can be a great asset to _______ Elementary.

I have a bachelor degree in Human Development and Family Studies as well as an Early Childhood Education teaching license (preK-3rd grade). I believe that children are born with an intrinsic motivation to learn, and as a teacher I strive to foster this motivation by utilizing numerous and varied techniques to put my students on the path to life-long learning. I am skilled at creating developmentally appropriate lessons and activities and utilizing a variety of assessments. I also work to create a caring community in my classrooms where the students can develop autonomy, curiosity, and respect for others. I am very dedicated and passionate about what I do and am confident that I would excel as a member of your teaching team.

I would be pleased to complete an interview for one of the primary grade positions at [school]. I have already completed a ________ School District application. Please feel free to contact me in the way that best suits you. My email address is _________ and my phone number is ____. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

MissR
    encls.

13. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 22, 2006

Munchkin: I snail mailed all my letters. I guess I just feel like it is more formal. And I think it would be easier for the principal to ignore emails... especially attachments. There is something intriguing about real letters. :)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2006

Assuming that NJ is pretty much like Long Island, then don't worry. The season really hasn't gotten started yet!!

It's rough, reading all these posts from other parts of the country, waiting for the phone to ring. But, looking online, I see the same jobs posted that have been there all along. The application deadlines are just coming up now.And my former boss, who has said he wants me back, hasn't called yet-- they just aren't up to the point in the process where he would know whether or not he wants a math teacher.( Although 2 teachers who saw my husband said they were happy I'm coming back:confused: )

So hang in there-- we're apparently way behind the curve when it comes to hiring around here. (But remember, we don't start school unitl September-- lots of parts of the country finish this week and go back in August.)

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2006

That's a good letter!! (I know you said no critiques!)

Other people might want to consider volunteering to teach a demo lesson.

16. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 23, 2006

Do you mean we could call the school and ask to teach a demo lesson out of the blue? Or offer to teach the demo while you are in the interview sessions?

17. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 23, 2006

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2006

I've been mentioning the demo in my letter...."should you wish to reach me to schedule an interview or a demo lesson, I can be reached at..."

I don't know whether it's a good idea or not. But I know I'm good at teaching, and wouldn't mind if they saw me in action.

19. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 23, 2006

It sounds like a great idea!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2006

Of course, you have to be prepared to teach... whatever.. especially at this time of year.

21. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 23, 2006

OMG! I hear al you ladies! I feel like I've been waiting for the phone to ring forever and I've only sent out my resumes two weeks ago! I feel so lost! But at least I'm not alone! I have gotten an interview at a charter school in downtown L.A. however, with traffic it takes me about an hour to get there and an hour to get back, I din't know if I can handle that... then again, should I really be choosy right now, when no one else has called? Does anyone know what the time frame is for districts to call?

22. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 23, 2006

BTW, Miss R, great cover letter!

23. wanateach

wanateach Companion

May 24, 2006

Thanks for posting your letter, MissR. It sounds so exciting and inviting, I see why it captured attention-you have inspired this teacher wanna be-way to go!!!

24. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

May 24, 2006

Nice letter, Miss. R. Very simple and to the point. Ya didn't drag on and on. That was really refreshing. Hope I can do as well next time.
    Thanks.
    Munchkin

25. wanateach

wanateach Companion

May 25, 2006

Munchkin,
    How are you doing on your job search, I am in the same boat as you it sounds like. I have just today braodened my search concentrating on preschool-I will take anything just to get my foot in-I want to know if there is any possible way I can teach again, so discouraging-knowing I have the credentials and experience, but being able to convince them.....Lori

26. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 25, 2006

I think its a great idea because it shows them that you are willing to back up what you say.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 25, 2006

Texasaggie,

I read in the other post about the great time you've been having the past day or so (but got interrupted by my son and lost the post!) I'm so glad that it looks like things are coming together for you. Like everyone else, I've really been pulling for you-- you seem like the kind of teacher I pray my own kids get.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get the job you want! Keep us posted-- and give your daughter an extra kiss from all daddy's friends!

28. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver Rookie

May 25, 2006

MissR
    Could I see your cover letter also? I never know what to say either...I try to make each one specific to the school and position I am applying for, but not getting many calls!

29. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 25, 2006

Thanks You Aliciacc

I have to say that I am truly blessed to have found this board. Yall are so amazing and every day that I visit the site I met more and more people who are interested in teaching and have great ideas about a variety of things.

30. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 25, 2006

eagerbeaver - Go up on this thread and check post #11. MissR already put her cover letter here.

31. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 26, 2006

the cover letter is on a post after that initial msg.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2006

Texasaggie,

How did interview #3 go??

33. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 26, 2006

It was interesting, I ended up starting my interview talking to the assistant principal and athletic coordinator while going to eat snow cones with the rest of the teachers.

It was a blast, and because it was not a "professional" interview I could just talk to them and get my point across. He said, that he had three open coaching positions.

The only problem is that two of them have to be women for security reasons (They need someone that is going to be able to go into the women's lockerroom etc). If I got the job I would be teaching 7th grade history and coaching the women's basketball and volleyball teams.

They said that they would get back to me regardless and that if I needed something just to call. It will probably be at least three weeks before I hear anything but I am feeling pretty good about it.

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 26, 2006

I heard nothing today. I don't think I got the position at the school I wanted to work at. I am thinking that I am going to have to move out of state.

35. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 26, 2006

You never know, did they say that they would contact you regardless of what happened?

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 26, 2006

No they didn't say. But bf's mom works at the school so I am sure she will find out for me.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2006

Jamie,

Hang in there!!! It's MONTHS until school starts again. My kids still have 15 days until this year ends. LOTS AND LOTS happens over the summer!

sometimes interviews are funny-- your impression of it isn't at all the same as the ones on the other side of the table.

No one can expect to hear anything until probably Wednesday-- that means no phone calls or job postings or anything. So have a wonderful holiday weekend and forget all this stuff for a few days!

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2006

Texasaggie,
    It sounds like you had a GOOD Trip!!! Let's hear it for at least 2 out of 3!!!

Wouldn't it be cool to get multiple offers??

39. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 26, 2006

Unfortunately that is much easier said than done!

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 26, 2006

Thanks acutally there is a a ton of positions I need to apply for that I haven't had time for this week. To busy with tutoring.
    I am going to do those on Sunday and mail them out on Tuesday.

41. Thespis

Thespis Rookie

May 26, 2006

I just don't understand this...
    Three weeks from now, they're going to be smack up against the 45 day rule and nobody that currently has a job will be interested because they can't get out of a contract. Any currently unemployed teacher that is well qualified and markets themselves agressively will already have a job.
    I've seen it time and again; principals put off hiring until the last minute and then take what they can get right before school starts.
    I interviewed for a position almost three weeks ago. I got an email today saying they hadn't filled the position yet and expect to interview for several more weeks! I have accepted one position, been offered another and have an interview on Tuesday where (insiders tell me) I'll probably be offered a third.
    I just laughed and replied, "Thanks for the update!"