Sending Home Papers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by C2Teach, Jun 10, 2007.

1. C2Teach

C2Teach Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

Do you send them home as you grade them or all together on a certain day of the week?

3. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 10, 2007

When I student taught, we sent everything home on Friday, regardless of when it was graded. I think I'll follow a similar system, but I think I'll change the date to Mondays (giving me weekends to catch up, if needed. :) ) I like the idea because then parents know when to expect paperwork.

4. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

I used to send them all home with a newsletter on Fridays, which worked out nicely for me because I liked parking myself in front of the tv on Thursday nights! But I became frustrated that, if ever something came up (which rarely happened), kids & parents would complain that they hadn't gotten the pack of papers on time.
    I don't know what I'll do next year... I like getting rid of papers as I grade/check them, but it kept me on track to "have to" get the papers done and sent home on a certain day.

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 11, 2007

We have a Thursday envelope. We send all graded papers for that week, as well important school handouts, in the envelope. The parents expect the envelope every Thursday. They sign that they have received the papers, and then they send it back.

6. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

My weekly bulletin and all graded work go home on Monday. Its easier for me and better for my parents to know what to expect and when.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 11, 2007

I send everyone home with a newsletter every Friday. The parents keep all of the homework and classwork and the tests and quizzes come back to me signed, in the folder on Monday.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 11, 2007

I put papers in mailboxes whenever I get a chance. I do like the idea to send everything home on one day. Or, I could distribute the papers when I get the chance, but have the students check their mailboxes on Friday or Monday. That way they don't have things coming home throughout the week, they know what do expect. Parents out there, what do you prefer??

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 11, 2007

I put everything in their mailboxes as soon as it is corrected during the week and send them home on Fridays.

10. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

I send things home everyday because I like to clear it out of my room. As a parent, I ask my kids to show me their "take home" folder every night and we go through it.

11. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I use Friday Folders to send home papers each Friday. Papers get filed into cubbies during the week. Thurs we stuff the folders - Fri sent home and returned Monday with a Parent Signature showing that they looked at the papers (whether they actually do....who knows)

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 11, 2007

Oh, my...

Well, that would be an entirely different thread/problem entirely! LOL Most of the teachers I have observed have sent papers home once per week, generally in a pocket folder designated for such.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 11, 2007

I try to get papers graded and have them put their papers into their mailboxes as they finish their work. If it is work I need to take a closer look at, I will collect and grade asap. I try to get things graded the same day I receive it and sent home that day. I don't have a set day. I want the work to go home as soon as possible so if there is a problem or if the child needs more practice or needs to do corrections, everything is still fresh in their minds. If it was homework, the parents will see the results of the homework quickly. I admit, I don't grade everything or even return everything. I don't think it is necessary to go over every piece of work with a fine tooth comb. Sometimes they just need the practice. I read somewhere on here about a teacher having stamps made - "reviewed but not corrected" "corrected" "please make corrections and return" and I would add "please complete and return" and "Please correct at home and let Mom or Dad check your work." I want to get the papers home as soon as I can, and out of my hair!

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

I am like other people and send my behavior folder home w/ graded papers all stapled together w/ a newsletter on top. I have had 1-2 complaints that parents would rather have things on Fridays so that kids can be punished over the weekend, but I need the weekend (actually after school on Friday) to input grades and get papers passed out.

15. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 11, 2007

I send all papers home with my newsletter in a Thursday envelope. I only picked Thursday because that is the day the school newsletter goes home, so it goes in the envelope too. There is a sheet attached to the front of the envelope with a spot for the parents to sign every Thursday of the year, and then return on Friday. There is also a column for comments, which has turned out to be a good spot for quick questions, or asking me to give them a call, etc. I like that parents always know which day papers are coming home. And, as long as I have everything graded by Thursday, it doesn't matter if I get behind during the week.