Sending home graded work...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoreline02, Aug 8, 2016.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 8, 2016

During the school year I review student tests frequently for data, meetings, conferences, small group, etc. I need to have my students' tests on file but I also want parents to know how their kids are doing in school. Last year I didn't send home tests because if I did they wouldn't come back. How can I keep parents up to date on their child's performance? Should I try to send tests home again to have them signed? What do you do?
    BTW - departmentalized 4th grade Science/S.S. so about 70 students.

3. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Aug 8, 2016

I look at the tests and make any notes that I need and then send them home. Sometimes I'll make copies for certain students so I can keep them and parents can have a copy.

They years when I have a say in how I do grades I do my own personal version of standards based grading, so I'll break tests and assignments into topics/categories so even if I send papers home, I can still see in my grade book how each student did on each topic.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 8, 2016

Are tests the only work that contributed to a student's grade? If so, I would make a copy for you and send the original home.

5. teacher mama

teacher mama Rookie

Aug 8, 2016

I teach at a K-12 school and the upper elementary teachers do send papers home at least every other week to be signed by parents. Some use answer sheets for tests so the actual test is not sent home, others send the graded test home. If papers are not sent back within a couple of days parents are called. Students can get their names recorded in a discipline notebook kept by the teacher for not bringing them back in a timely manner. After having their name recorded five times they are referred to the office and the principal contacts the parents.

greendream and BioAngel like this.
  6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 8, 2016

I know this may be a waste of paper, but can you make copies of the tests? Or just make copies and send home tests of students who earned below a B or something.

7. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 8, 2016

Making copies would really be a pain since I have about 70 students and the tests are a couple pages each.

8. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Aug 8, 2016

We have to send home graded papers each week on a specific day. We have been told to make sure to record grades before they are sent, and when parents sign the folder that is their acknowledgement that they have seen the grade regardless of if the papers are returned to school. Many parents sign without really looking and are really shocked when report cards are issued. We also have an online system that parents can check anytime to see grades. Grades have to be updated each week.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2016

I use a scanning app on my phone for failing tests and for those kids who aren't going to return them based on history. I hated running to the copier for that. Our assessments are ten to twelve pages and a pain to copy.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 9, 2016

As a parent, I was very frustrated last year because my first grader's teacher rarely sent home work. We do standards based report card, and I didn't like being surprised when the report card came out, and she was lacking in a skill. If I don't know where she's struggling, I don't know how to help her. Parents need to see how their kids are doing on a regular basis.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2016

I snapped pictures of their tests and filed each by student. I sent the originals home. :)

12. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 9, 2016

Cam scanner is a nice app that takes pictures of documents and turns them into PDFs.

shoreline02 likes this.
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2016

If you don't want to kill trees, simply scan them onto your Google Drive, or whatever online service you are using. If the students can study from the old tests to do better on future tests, then I am all in favor of them having them - they are a resource. You just need a copy, either digital or hard copy, to cover your behind should any of your students try to change their answers to improve their grades. Yeah, I know they are 4th grade, but trust me, they all start somewhere. The only tests I never sent home were midterm and final - questions were reused, it was same test for all classes, so it was a security issue. Students could come in and go over it, but it was never going to leave my possession.

Honestly, with our ability to save digital versions for our records, I don't see keeping the paper versions at school, with the exception of those exceptions noted.

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  14. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 9, 2016

What does the paper/folder you send home look like where the parents sign?

15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2016

Don't you send home progress reports? You could also send them home in a class folder (I'm making mine orange so ALL students have it and know what folder I'm talking about.) And then label one side "keep at home" and the other, "return to school." Students will put the signed materials in the return to school side. And then you hold them accountable for returning them. If they don't, then they can come in during recess and a) call home to make sure it gets back and/or b) write themselves (multiple) notes so that they don't forget it. And then they don't get their recess back until they do bring it in. It teaches them responsibility. If parents sign all the papers at the beginning of the year, then they can take 2 seconds to look over and sign tests. Many times the tests probably don't even make it home or are "conveniently left somewhere or "lost." So parents may not even know about them. Make it known as early as possible to students and parents that you WILL send them home and you DO expect them signed and returned to school or there will be penalties. If you text, email, have a classroom newsletter or website, just constantly remind parents, "Hey tests are coming home and are due back signed on x date."
    Trust me, if you hold students accountable, they WILL do what's expected! Especially 4th grade. They're still young, a bit more mature and independent, but malleable.
    And just talk with the other teachers on the team so they know the expectations too because if they also enforce it, or at least remind students, it will really help the students with making it a routine. Though if ALL teachers expect tests signed & returned, it really does help with consistency.

:)

16. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 9, 2016

We don't send tests, graded work, projects and tasks home until the end of the year, we have to keep everything on file, especially when it becomes a question of do they need to go to summer school or held over we need concrete evidence not just scores on a data sheet.

We also do have 3 report cards 2 progress reports and 4 parent teacher conferences. We are in constant communication with parents on how they are doing and what they need help with.

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 10, 2016

Can you explain more about how you communicate with parents without sending home any graded work? Do you call/email?

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2016

I send home all summative assessments to be signed by parents and returned. Most are good at returning them; those who don't get reminder notes in their agendas and then a phone call home. At the end of the term, they take home everything in their assessment file.

19. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 10, 2016

We have designated time in our contract once a week to meet with parents. None of my parents email me, but I have a few that text via class dojo or on my google voice number.

Honestly no parent has asked about grades for tests. I have a feeling this is a NYC public school thing as in the various schools I have been in my career don't return graded work. We just tell parents if they ask. Many parents want to know just in passing if their kid is doing ok. There's also a language barrier where 95% of parents speak Spanish and I don't so calling them doesn't work. I can text because Google translate helps and I tell parents this but many still don't really reach out.

Parents don't even know what their kids scored on the state tests because everything is online and in the neighborhood I teach in many parents don't know how to access the DOE portal, nor have asked about it. My coteacher and I took an initiative to try and get parents signed up at the end of the year. We shall see how it goes this year but many don't have computers and some don't even have smartphones.

20. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 10, 2016

Parents don't receive any information in the mail regarding this?

21. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 10, 2016

I don't think so, think used to but not in the past year. We switched online portal systems 2 years ago though. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

22. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 10, 2016

Seems odd that a state like NY would not mail a copy to the parents, I can't believe they think everyone would have access online.
    We have smarter balance online test, but a copy of student results are still mailed to every parent.

23. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 10, 2016

It's not the state but rather just NYC, I'm sure the rest of the state does. Maybe they do mail the scores, maybe the parents I've spoken to about just didn't get them or read their mail. I was shocked to hear that parents didn't know. Also I can say that some parents move around the neighborhood and don't update their address. They also change their numbers and don't update that either.

24. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 11, 2016

I'm glad to see this thread.

I have sent tests home in the past, but never required signatures. This year, I was thinking I'd send tests home, but also have students record the grade on a tracking sheet that parents sign weekly.

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2016

This

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2016

I send home tests and have parents sign and return them.

27. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Aug 14, 2016

Graded papers are stapled and sent home on a plastic folder that is provided by the school. One side of the folder is labeled return to school and the other is labeled keep at home. Parents sign a log that is kept in the back pocket of the folder.

otterpop likes this.
  28. ElsieFletcher

ElsieFletcher New Member

Mar 15, 2021

You can upload the document to the camscanner (install now) then send it to the parent, then any parent who wants to follow it can access the camscanner, you don't need to send it to each person anymore.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  29. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha Rookie

Mar 16, 2021

I've had tests photocopied to deter attempts by some students to change their answers after getting their tests back. (Yes, there are students in high school still that brazen.) If I had my time back, I'd have had them colour-scanned instead, and e-mailed the scanned version, with a printed version of the scan available on request, to save on paper while I was at it. Assuming I got the school board's permission, of course.

One of the few good things about a particular prep school in China in which I taught was they were supposed to keep the unit tests for department records. It took up a lot of space in the building (and was probably a fire hazard) but at least it gave us something to refer to if ever challenged later on a particular aspect of student work.

30. LadyInTheRoom

LadyInTheRoom New Member

Mar 23, 2021

I usually send grades in a report card and write how the student is doing, etc.

31. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha Rookie

Mar 26, 2021

Report card grades don't offer the complete picture, though. They don't show parents that a student was writing jokes on their quiz paper when they could've been making an honest effort to actually finish their quiz.