Sending an email to principals for a job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lunadorito, Feb 27, 2019.

1. lunadorito

lunadorito New Member

Feb 27, 2019

I am applying for my first teaching job (yay!) and very nervous about the whole thing haha. I'm a little confused about how to go about this. Basically, the county in which I'm applying has a basic application that you fill out for the whole county and a place to upload your resume. Then, they post a list job openings at each school in the county. You don't apply for the jobs, per se, but you are asked to email principals of schools you are interested in working at.

So I'm trying to figure out what to say when I email principals. Should it be essentially the same email to each principal? And since they already have a general application and resume online, should I attach it in the email or just introduce myself? I'm trying to set myself apart from the rest of the applicants, obviously, so I want to do this right.

Thanks for the help!!

skyline likes this.
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2019

When I have had to apply that way, I tried to personalize the letter to the P. I researched the school improvement plan, mission, etc. Then I could include a comment about how I could benefit the school in a positive way.

For example, a job I applied to years ago was for a school that had received an F on their yearly grade. I spoke about that and mentioned that I knew they had challenges ahead of them and felt that my experiences would help them improve the grade. I was specific about my experiences and gave a couple of examples. It worked.

skyline, czacza and vickilyn like this.
  4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2019

I'm not sure how this would go over in your area, but I went and hand delivered a packet to the principals after filling out an application. I ended up getting an interview and the job from hand delivering my packet of materials.