Send in your credentials...?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Apr 1, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 1, 2009

Ok... the last time I applied for a teaching job (not last year...but B.C. - Before Children) was back when we had to do everything by electric typewriter. You sent a resume and cover letter simply ASKING for them to mail you an application (just GETTING an application sent back meant you at LEAST looked good enough on paper for them to consider).

....so when they asked for your credentials (transcripts, etc) you didn't mind having the university send them (and you PAID for them to be sent-snail mail, of course).

But now, it's the days of on-line applications, and having a downloaded beautiful copy of your transcript is all they ask for.

EXCEPT a few districts...

this one in particular wants an on-line application (including everything downloaded)...AND a cover letter, resume, credentials, etc. sent to them. There are three positions available...and each position needs these things sent to a different person.

(I'm thinking they are cutting back the number of candidates by saying... if you will jump through all our beginning hoops...we MIGHT look at your cover letter. Sheeeesh)

So my question is...

Is it appropriate to send them beautiful colored copies of everything... rather than having to write my university to send me ($) sealed copies of my packet for each of these people?:confused:

I'm thinking the copies are fine, but I don't want to get myself thrown out immediately!:(

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

Call and ask? One of my transcripts is $30; I'm not sending that anywhere.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

I have issues with sending an original transcript. Mine aren't quite 30 bucks but if I sent originals to all the schools that want them it would get expensive. I have two sets of transcripts to send, undergrad and grad. Plus some schools want you to send your service record. I don't have that. I wont mind getting originals once I am about to sign on the dotted line, but to send originals just to get an interview, forget that!!!!

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2009

Same boat - $12 per transcript times 15 districts = :dizzy:

If the application clearly states "Original copies from the university" you have to have transcripts sent. If not, I'd send the copy with a note saying "Copy - originals available upon request."

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

I've always used copies and never had a problem. Good luck! I hope you land one of the openings! :)

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 1, 2009

Call and ask. If it says official transcripts then you have to get them from the University. I went into my University last year and they gave me a deal to order them in bulk. I asked for 30, still cost a lot, but I still had some for this year. They sent them to me sealed and I just add them onto the applications that require it.

8. palla

palla Companion

Apr 1, 2009

If it says official, it has to be sealed from the school. If it wants unofficial, it can be a copy.

I guess I am lucky. I can get official copies sent for free from my university (up to five at a time). I hope they don't get any ideas to start charging!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2009

For applying to jobs, I've always sent a copy of my unofficial transcript...but when applying grad school and for my state certifications, it required offical ones...and they came from the college directly.

Like palla, my college has never charged me...thankfully!

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

Copies of everything unless the directions state otherwise...

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 1, 2009

Well i sent copies...but four copies of everything still cost enough.

I at LEAST deserve an interview. I paid my way in. :p

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, wouldn't that be super? Paying your way in...not much different than getting in for being good lookin'. Hmm...

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 1, 2009

Hahahaha... don't start THAT again!

;)

14. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

Every district where I have applied accept copies of your transcript. They only require official copies when they offer you employment.

I'm one of the super lucky ones-- neither my undergrad nor my grad schools charge me for my transcripts.