Send flowers to teachers as a thank-you gesture or just do the whole class gift?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by thesub, Jun 5, 2014.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 5, 2014

Hi: My son is in 5th grade, hearing-impaired but mainstreamed and had a great set of teachers - very caring and very professional. I want to express my gratitude for looking out for him. There are 3 teachers who have been awesome. So should I send flowers to each of them?

Usually the class mom collects $10 from all the parents and gives a gift card at the end of the year. Should I just participate in this and send an email saying thank - you?

Thank you for your help,
    thesub

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2014

Whatever you decide to do, I think the most valuable thing you could give would be a sincere, handwritten note or card expressing your appreciation. It really wouldn't matter to me if it was attached to flowers or on its own.

Are these all of his teachers, or would you be singling some out? If that is the case, I would probably definitely just send a card. It would be really awkward if 3 of the team members got flowers and some others didn't!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 5, 2014

If you're set on flowers, you can go ahead, but consider that teachers have a LOT of "stuff" this time of year-stuff to take home, stuff to pack away, stuff to find a home for. While flowers might be a nice gesture, it's really more stuff to find a place for in the car, and try not to spill. I would much rather preferred a nice, personalized note, and a good word to the principal about how much you appreciate the caring and professional education your son received. If you need a gift also, how about a gift card to a smoothie place, or a pedicure.

Plus, flowers are expensive!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2014

I like the note. It is really nice...even it they read it quick right now... they may have more time to go back & really read it.

6. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 5, 2014

I love getting notes from students and parents. I got a lovely one from a parent at the end of this school year, and this particular parent also sang my praises to my principal, as someone mentioned previously. Those two things are the best gifts I could receive and very much accomplished the purpose of letting me know that I was appreciated. :love:

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 5, 2014

Thank you all but the P is retiring and the school gets a new P in Sept.

...so should I sing their praises to the old P or the new P? I don't mind doing both:)

I also thought flower will be expensive but was happy to send on such deserving teachers. It was the homeroom teacher who also does ILA, the math and science teacher and the SPED push-in teacher.

I will do notes as you all suggest. Since my handwriting is bad, I will type it up.

Thanks again so much,
    thesub

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 5, 2014

I agree that a note is the best.

I'll never forget my first year teaching when a mom sent an email to the superintendent. He forwarded it to me, with a message thanking me for making a difference in the child's life. I still have it saved. :)

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 5, 2014

I just went back to read it, and this is what she wrote:

I feel compelled to write to you to in regard to my experience with ______ Elementary School and the staff there. I would assume that you hear your fair share of bad experiences and I think it's far too seldom that we share the good ones.
    I am the parent of a Kindergartener at _____. This is our first child in the school system and frankly I was not sure what to expect, especially with the unexpected boundry changes.
    Our child is a student in Miss ______'s classroom. During the school year, I have had the pleasure of helping out in her classroom. Each time that I do, I come away with an even greater respect and admiration for her. She has such an amazing ability to show and gain respect from her children. She has only ever shown patience, fairness and consistency to each child. In such a large group, she still manages to give each child her individual attention at the child's respective learning level. She has endless creative ways to make learning fun and exciting for the kids. And with a 7 hour school day, that is no easy feat. She often uses everyday (sometimes funny) experiences that come up and uses them as a teaching tool. She is a remarkable teacher and I am honored to have her teaching my child.

This still makes me tear up!!!

10. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 5, 2014

Drivingpigeon, thank you for sharing the note

-truly a testimonial to your abilities.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 6, 2014

THIS! The cards and notes that I save from over the years of teaching are the ones that are more personal about how I've changed a child's life.

Even if you could stop by to share it- that would be even more meaningful. I had one Dad do that- I had no clue even about how much his son appreciated me- and he came to speak to me. The Dad left me in happy tears and left with a hug too. Another time a Mom who's son was struggling with reading and was going through a reading program similar to what I did as a child came to tell me how much she appreciated me reaching out and telling her about the program and how well it worked for myself- her son now is a great reader.

Thanks for being so willing to THANK the teachers that made your son's year a great one! :thumb:

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2014

I would participate in the class gift and send flowers/cards on my own as well. If that's too costly I would definitely send a handwritten thank you card instead of an email. As previous posters have mentioned the card will be greatly appreciated.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2014

I still have one from when I did student teaching...

14. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Jun 9, 2014

I love getting notes! I keep all cards, notes and pictures from students on the wall next to my desk, to remind me of why I do this job.

15. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

Jun 10, 2014

I got some really nice presents today, but the best thing I got was a great card from the parent and that included a paragraph from each of her 3 children (I teach them all).

If you feel that your teachers went above and beyond for your child, then a gift is really nice and appropriate. It is probably the case that you would still be satisfied with your teachers had they done less. It is nice to recognize the extra stuff that made you over-the-moon happy with a gift.

I agree that it is hard on teachers to get so much stuff at the end of the year, though. I would avoid giving flowers (I end up throwing some of them away because I don't have enough vases) and chocolate (I end up giving them away because I don't want to gain 50 lbs). Some of the better gifts I've gotten have been: Nice candles, gift cards to restaurants, amazon.com gift cards, grocery store gift cards, books. Least favorite presents: Starbucks gift cards, coffee mugs (I get about 10/year), scarves and jewelry