Selling Personal Jewelry

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Securis, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

The long story short is that I had a fiance and we have recently amicably decided to go separate ways. Best thing for both of us, really. I have the ring and I'm thinking that I can sell it but I'm not sure I'll get much out of it. We agreed we'd share whatever came of it but I want that amount to be as much as possible.

Any advice will be appreciated.

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

I sold a few rings on eBay from a bf because I could not keep them since they meant something at the time. Personally, I would give an engagement ring back rather than trying to make money from it since it probably cost him a lot.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

I'm the he. And it did cost a lot, relatively.

5. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

I still have all of my jewelry from my ex-husband. I have put ads in the tell-n-sell, went to a pawn shop, and went to a jewelry store to see what they would give me. Needless to say, I still have them all in my possession. They just want to give me the value of the gold and not the value of the stones. I figure one day I will either make new pieces of jewelry with the stones or sell it on ebay.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

Why not keep it? When you're ready to take the plunge again you can have the stone reset and it will be a brand new ring. I'd guess you'd only get 10-20% of your purchase price if you tried to sell it. A lesson to all of us - buy your jewelry "used"!

7. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Sep 1, 2009

Personally, I'd rather not have a ring than have a stone purchased for another woman. Call me crazy...maybe a necklace or something, but certainly not a ring. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd even want the necklace.

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

Keeping it is an option but giving it to someone else in any form is out. I'd rather it get lost in the depths of my useless junk. I'll probably go with a personal advertisement in a local free paper. It seems that this is likely the best way to recover the highest percentage of my initial cost.

Then again, who knows. If I keep it and then in a few years when life has grown us both we may be in places where we get back together. We ended on a positive note and even discussed that possibility.

9. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 1, 2009

Not that its my business, I'm just not sure why you would split the amount with her? Its not like she payed for it. I've had a few friends give the engagement ring back and that was the end of it. I know it was something for her, but again, you paid a good amount of money for it. I would feel very weird taking the money, but that's just me.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 1, 2009

About 16 years ago, my DH upgraded the center stone of my wedding ring with a bigger stone purchased from our jeweler. The stone came from another ring that someone sold my jeweler. My original center stone was moved to one side of it and another one added. Its still the same ring, setting and band. I never think about the stone belonging to someone else.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

I don't know. Generosity, hope, love, any number of great feelings that I associate with her. In this case feeling wasn't enough. There needed to be more and neither of us could offer that to the other.

12. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

Oh sorry! Some people use fiance instead of fiancee so I just assumed you were given the ring... I'm sorry.:eek:

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

I have jewelry from my ex as well. One is a diamond tennis bracelet which I loved and wore all the time. I thought i would be able to look at it and remember the TRIP (when we bought it) and not him. Didn't work. i know it's worth enough to pay taxes (both income and property-as well as a yearly IRA contribution) for a year or so, but doubt I could find someone to pay what it's worth. So... it sits.

I have had stones taken out (of other jewelry-inherited), gold melted down, and necklaces made. Still... I don't wear it that often. It's not all that cheap to do that.

When discussing jewelry once... my daughter (who is totally estranged from her father -- and is on the verge of becoming engaged herself) mentioned...and do not THINK that I want your wedding ring or ANY stone from it.

Hehehehehe.. WHAT??? You think it's cursed???

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2009

:hugs: This made me smile (and brought a lump to my throat). You are a special guy, Securis!

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 2, 2009

I have a necklace from an ex a long, long time ago. I never wore it then really, and I sure won't wear it now. It's ugly. I don't think I could sell it for anything because no one would want it! In fact, him thinking that it was something I would like made me seriously question if he was someone I wanted to be with. I keep it as a reminder of how far I came to find my husband.

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My ex gave me this one..UGLY UGLY necklace. It had my two children's birthstones in it..and that was it's only redeeming quality. Years later in marital counseling he said that the fact I don't WEAR that was a DEEP insult to him... That symbolized (to HIM) OUR love for our kids. And that I didn't wear it 24/7 meant that I was rejecting that. Oh PLEEEASE! It's ugly! If you want me to wear something on a regular basis...at least get something i would LIKE to be seen with. (It was this really lop-sided heart...i'm not a lop-sided type of person.)

Years later... he "designed" *cough* this one bracelet for me. I GET what it was suppose to symbolize. The links were eternity eights with stones every once in a while. Gently placed onto a mannequin hand, it would have been beautiful. But it didn't stay like that. It twisted and turned, and caught the skin in a pinch. In other words...it WAS unwearable. He was insulted again. I thanked him for the thought..and offered to go back with him to the jeweler-who HAD to know it wouldn't work (but had this guy willing to PAY to design something himself) and have it altered so that it WOULD be workable...but he refused.

Oh well. Another thing that we had to talk about in counselling (just couldn't accept I am not a jewelry-type person...and even then, had tastes different than his. His next two wives were jewlery people...and he lost a LOT of money on them.)

17. Securis

Securis Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

Thank you. I'll borrow a gumpism, "Special is as Special does."

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 2, 2009

Ha! That reminds me of the time my dad went to the jewelry store before Christmas and told the man there, "What do you get a wife who doesn't like jewelry?" The man, of course, said, "not jewelry." That didn't stop my dad, who got her a black pearl necklace. They are now divorced. When my mom left, she left the necklace there. I'm kicking myself for this now, but a few years ago I told my dad he should give it to the lady he was dating then, since he had neglected to get her anything for Christmas that was nice at all. So he did. It was still in the box he gave it to my mom in. Now I would like to have it!

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

Sorry to have hijacked the thread...

after my mom passed away my dad - who is NOT sentimental! - told us kids to go through the things and take whatever meant something to us. (He DID though give me her wedding ring-I was their only daughter...and my sister in law was jealous..why wasn't SHE considered! :rolleyes:)

Anyway... I looked for this one tiny creamer that i always loved...and didn't see it anywhere. Figured the sister-in-law had grabbed it. A short while later my ex found another one like it (it was discontinued and had to be searched down) and gave it to me. It's precious, I have it in a place of prominence in my home...but it wasn't hers..so only second best.

My dad and I talked about it years later. And he said, "yeah it was there..don't know why you didn't see it. I ended up giving it to E (his now wife) for a valentine's present. I didn't have anything for her...and opened up the cabinet of your mom's and...." NO!!!!!! Well sorry dad, you need to get that back. That was to be mine. "I will not! And don't you EVER say anything to her about it." I offered to give him the one my ex gave me, for him to replace it some night while she was sleeping, and give me my mom's one back. (Real James Bond work :p) He refused.

-But this was from the same man who told me I was foolish to go out and buy a new outfit for my mom's wake... that SHE had a full closet of clothes, and that I should feel free to go in and pick something out. EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! TRIED to explain to him that you don't wear a dead woman's clothes to her funeral. He didn't get it.

Men. :rolleyes: