Selling my house...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2009

Boo hoo, I'm selling my wonderful home that I've lived in for 31 years. Any suggestions on what to do to make the new owners want to live here? I'd really like to leave a letter on how wonderful the home has been to raise 2 kids in, there's still a great playhouse in the fenced in back yard and great trees to play in and around. I'm just one mile from the school, utilities have always been reasonable.

Any one have any advice?

3. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

Are you asking on ways to entice people to buy it? I think a letter is a cute idea. But I've always heard/or seen (on tv) that it's best to have your home clutter free. And always have a room being used for what it's designated for. Such as if the house only has a limited number of bedrooms (2) and you're using one for an office, you may want to convert it into a bedroom while it's selling.

I hope that's the advice you were looking for, if not I'll come back later and try again! Hehe. :)

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2009

Yes, I do have one room that's an office/bedroom. Should I move all the office stuff out?

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

Well, just trying to suggest and be helpful. I feel weird saying "yes move it all out" haha. But I've heard that it's good because if you leave it as a office/bedroom, others may see it as "hmmm this house doesn't have enough space for one of each". You know what I mean?

BTW, I have never owned a house. But I watch countless hours of HGTV and someone is always buying or selling on there! :)

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

All personal items should be put away, including photos, diplomas, etc. Declutter all rooms. Closets must be neat and orderly as the kitchen cabinets. Kitchen and bathrooms need to be spotless. The garage, too, should be well organized. Anything that is damaged, not working, handles missing, lights bulbs out needs to be repaired. The outside of your home is the first thing a buyer sees. It can make or break a deal. Peeling paint, messy gutters, dead shrubs, broken sidewalks and old lawn furniture are turnoffs. I've built and sold 5 homes, two within one week of going on the market. If you are having your home available for viewing at all times then you need to keep everything in order at all times. When my homes were on the market I had the realtor call first to give me a heads up. If I wasn't home they would still show but I left the house in "showing shape". I hope this helps. I am not saying your home has any of these things but just some thoughtful tips that I have used in the past.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2009

Thanks for all the advice, I'm really sad to be moving but it's a necessity at this point. This town is going belly-up, things are closing, and I'm lucky to have job offers elsewhere.

Thanks again.

8. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I would strongly recommend that you hire a stager. I have a friend who stages and she only charges about 200$ and is SO worth the money, so I would think about hiring someone to do this for you.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 8, 2009

We are in the process of selling our house. We got rid of a lot of clutter and have paid for a monthly storage space to store our "extras." It has made the house look more spacious and in general nicer. Spend a little money to fix small things, like if the hardware in your kitchen is old, replace all the knobs so that they're nice and not worn down looking. As already mentioned, clean the closets, not just the rooms themselves.

And unfortunately keep in mind that interest rates have gone up almost a full percent in about three weeks and that is BAD news for the housing market. Be prepared to have a hard time selling, it's a very tough market right now.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2009

The Realtor came by this afternoon and she said there's stimulus money, $8,0000.00 for new home owners, and the city has bond money too. My house is affordable too, it's in great shape for a home that's 31 years old. We've loved it here and have taken a lot of pride in it. The backyard is wonderful, fenced in, a real wooden play house with a great window.

Will hit it hard in the a.m.

Thanks for the advice!

11. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jun 8, 2009

I would leave out (lying around conspicuously) information about utility bills. If they're pretty low, show them, or work up a spreadsheet showing what they were for the last 12 months. (If they're high, don't do this :))

Are all of your lightbulbs working, and the clear ones, especially, dust-free? Do all of your windows and blinds work?

If you have 3 or more bedrooms and one is an office, I don't think that would be a problem. If you have 2 and one is an office, change it back to a bedroom.

Best to you!

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 8, 2009

As a first time home buyer, I would say to follow the others' advice. When you have too much stuff going on the buyers can't look at the layout, space, and little things. Your realtor should be able to give you some tips too. We ended up getting a house that was completely empty when we toured it. It would have been nice to see furniture in it though. I guess the word to think of when staging your rooms is simplify.