Selling Gift Cards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Splasher, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Splasher

Splasher Rookie

Jun 23, 2014

Have you ever done this?

At the end of the year (and during the holidays), I usually get a handful of gift cards from students. I obviously appreciate the thought, though the cards are frequently to places I would never go.

I found this site (don't want to post it --- don't want people to think I'm advertising :lol:, but you can easily find it by googling "sell gift cards")
    that buys gift cards. I frequently find myself selling the cards. I don't get full face value, but I usually get at least $20 for a $25 card (and I view it that I generally have $5 left on cards that would never get used anyway...)

Do you do this? I feel sort of bad about it, but at the same time, the cash is more useful to me.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2014

I think Ms I has mentioned this before. I've never done it.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 24, 2014

I haven't done it but I wouldn't feel any worse than I do giving it to someone because they'll use it and I won't. I personally love gift cards because it's a chance to try something new that I don't have to pay for, but I don't think it's a big deal to sell them- any more than it would be to regift something or sell it in a yard sale.

5. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jun 24, 2014

Hint at VISA gift cards next time. :)

6. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 25, 2014

I WISH I had this problem. :) Seriously though...why would you NEVER go to these places? I once got a gift card to a music store (even though I am not a music teacher....hmmm) and I found a cool t-shirt with "Fender" written on it. Give the stores a chance...you never know what you might find. If the card is to a restaurant, almost everyone serves chicken fingers. :thumb:

7. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

I got the gift card to Starbucks from a parent at the end of my student teaching - I can't have caffeine or High Fructose Corn Syrup, so my aunt who loves starbucks bought it off me.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2014

I have never sold gift cards...I usually just regift them to someone for a birthday or Christmas.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 25, 2014

I see no problem with selling cards, but I also enjoy the chance to try somewhere new. :)

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

I always get fast food ones and as a vegan-I don't eat fast food at all. I keep them in my car and give them to homeless people asking for money for food. I don't do Starbucks either, also no caffeine-so I always give those to my father who's pretty much addicted. ;)

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 25, 2014

Wish I had this problem more often as well. I only received one gift card this year, but the parent (apart from being very kind) was sensible and it was to Staples. I used it to buy notebooks for next year. =]

12. Splasher

Splasher Rookie

Jun 25, 2014

I mostly just get them because I write a good number of letters of recommendation for the kids.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 26, 2014

If I don't need them, I hold on to them for a pretty long time (I have some that I've had for 2-3 years now). After 2 years, I saved up enough to the Cheesecake Factory that my husband and I had an awesome dinner (with drinks and dessert)! Otherwise I will share them with my husband or family if they like the store better than I do.