Self Publishing?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by time out, Jul 8, 2012.

1. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

Has anyone written a children's book to use in the classroom? I've had this idea about odd and even that I've been toying around with over the last couple of years. I actually made a powerpoint introduction for the topic and thought it would make a cute story.

If you've published a book for personal use, what publishing site did you use? How did you find an illustrator? Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

I've never officially "published" anything, but when I'm teaching writing I'm always teaching using my own exemplar. So for realistic fiction I did write a story, based roughly on something that happened to me as a child, just as I wanted the students to do. I had no plans to finish the entire thing because it there just wasn't enough time for me to model the entire story and for them to write each day. But they really liked it so I typed up a version to read to them. No pictures or anything, they just liked hearing the story and knowing that something similar had happened to me as a child. (It was about a girl getting lost on the bus on the way home from school.)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

I've published a number of articles, but no books. (I've started one on teaching math, but am far, far, from finishing it.)

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 8, 2012

Try googling J Moffett Walker. She's an author in Mississippi. She self publishes a lot of her books and she has her email address on her site.

She is very friendly and loves to help anyone. I've met her several times. I don't know her well.

I would google her name and get to know a little about her. She's had an interesting life.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2012

Amazon has some pretty good resources for self publishing!

7. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 9, 2012

Thank you for the replies, guys. I'll take a look into J. Moffett Walker and Amazon.

I might even be able to create a photo book if I can find an illustrator. That would be pretty cool. Thanks again.