Self-Evaluation

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by math_teacher, Nov 16, 2009.

1. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Nov 16, 2009

I encourage my students to reflect on their actions and study habits throughout the year. I also encourage them to periodically set goals for themselves. I see this as a life skill and take it seriously.

In the past I have had them write up (<1pg) a mini-essay on their goals and how successfully they are meeting them, and how they view their participation/effort in class.

I like the assignment because not only does it get them to be reflective, but it lets me see a different side of them through writing.

I'm looking for some fresh ideas. Does anyone else have a similar assignment in their class?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 16, 2009

I don't, but I do like yours.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2009

How specific is your assignment? Are they to write about their goals in your class or in school or in life in general?

5. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Nov 17, 2009

My assignment is geared for my class rather than "life"...however I discuss with the students that being reflective is a life skill....

6. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Nov 17, 2009

I have my students keep a journal and write an entry every day. It should reflect specifically what was done and learned in class, as well as a personal reflection of any difficulties or "tricks" they got to help them in class.
    Since my warm-ups are done in the journals as well, class can begin with specific questions from the previous day's journal.

It basically serves 2 purposes: gets students to put the class concepts in their own words so they are internalizing, and gives me an indication of where I may not have been as clear in my instruction as I thought.

Works very well for Physics.

7. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 17, 2009

8. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Nov 18, 2009

How often do you read them....daily?

9. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Nov 19, 2009

Since we start class with questions from journals pertaining to the previous class, I don't read every day, usually every 2 weeks and have staggered class collections so I am not overwhelmed with over 100 journals at a time. I am collecting all tomorrow, since parent teacher conferences are next week.