self-contained or not

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by kkuchtah, Aug 3, 2008.

1. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I was wondering how many 4th grades were self contained and those that are not how you spilt the subjects - I am spilt I will teach math to all and social studies to my homeroom - there are 3 teachers - one teaches reading and writing and one science 1.30 w/ each class. What do you like best:D

3. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I currently teach in a departmentalized 4th grade. I teach Reading to 4 different classes, including my homeroom, each day. One teacher teaches Math, one teaches Writing, one teaches Science/SS/Health, and then I teach Reading.

Last year we had each block for 45 mins but we have gotten that switched to an hour for this year. I think it will be much better.

I really like it because I only have to plan for Reading everyday. All classes are different but it is still much easier than having to plan for each subject everyday. At my school, 4th grade is the only grade that does this though. Our 5th grade teachers won't block for whatever reason :confused:

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

I was self-contained my first three years and LOVED it. In my current building we departmentalize. Some years we have two and some years three sections. We teach our own Lang. Arts and math, and switch for Sci and SS if we have two classes. If we have three, we teach our own LA and switch for Sci, SS, and Math.

5. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I was self-contained my first year (07-08) and it was definitely not easy.

This year I'll be teach teaching with one other teacher. I'll be teaching math, science, and social studies. She will be teaching reading, writing(language arts), and fine arts.

On my campus you're either a team of two or a team of three. Teams of three have 1 reading and social studies teacher, 1 writing(language arts) and science, and 1 math

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2008

I am self-contained for the very first time this year, but I strictly teach advanced fourth grade and no other students.

7. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

This will be my first year teaching 4th grade at the school I'm at currently. There is one other 4th grade teacher so she will teach reading/language arts and social studies and I will teach math and science. We will each teach our own spelling.