Self-Contained One Grade Structure?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by FourSquare, Jul 21, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 21, 2012

Does anyone teach in a self-contained special ed room? The rest of the teachers in my building are gen ed or resource teachers, so their rooms will be a little different than mine. I will have 11 6th graders all day for all subjects. Since I am new to middle school and sped, I am panicked about doing it right. I am not sure if I should be doing mostly whole group or small group instruction. I wont know their levels until I see IEPs next week, but I do know they are all labeled LD. Would any of you be willing to briefly walk me through your day and what each subject looks like?

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 21, 2012

This is off topic, but why are LD kids in a self-contained class for all subject areas? Hello....LRE!

Unless your district uses LD as the term for MH or CD?

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 21, 2012

I'm curious as to why they are self contained if they are only learning disabled...

I don't have any specifics other than you'll probably have a mix of whole group and small group instruction. Will you have an assistant/aide?

You might want to think of some center type activities for one group to do while you are doing small groups.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 21, 2012

That's a good question! I don't know. I know they mentioned an ADHD case which also presented behavior issues in the gen ed setting, but honestly nothing they said was as nearly severe as what I've seen. At my last 2 schools the special ed kids had profound physical disabilities, traumatic brain injury, or severe behavior issues. I keep expecting this, and they keep telling me "We don't have anything like that here." :unsure:

Due to this, I'm not really sure what to expect from them academically or behaviorally. This has impacted my planning, and I just want to get started with some kind of framework. I am overwhelmed by common core and all of the unknown. I'm not sure where to start. :(

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

It seems a bit strange that in a school where everyone else is resource they would have 11 kids in the same grade that are only LD and self-contained.....

I teach sped, but early childhood, a whole different ball game. From what I have seen lately, most rooms are cross-cat and multiple grade levels. I know there is one school near me that does have a special LD program for reading.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

I would start by asking for teacher editions and the gen Ed teacher's info. Are they departmentalized? Oh and I'd get a hand on the IEPs.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant in my middle school everyone else is resource. My school is K-8. We have 3 other self-contained teachers in K-5 as well as resource teachers. However, I am the only self-contained teacher with one grade level. The resource teachers take kids with minutes in certain subjects. Self-contained (obviously) takes kids whose IEPs call for all time to be spent within special ed.

We are departmentalized. There are 4 other 6th grade gen ed teachers. I am meeting with them Wednesday to discuss curriculum. I was told the expectation is that I plan with them and especially in the area of science or social studies, I can adapt what they are doing or do my own thing. We do have a common core literacy map that I am expected to follow, which I have. I know they have a math curriculum that I am fortunately familiar with. Another teacher said they have asked for other curriculums in the past and the school has just ordered them, so I'm not sure if something is being used for literacy or not. It seems like they are big on teaching off novels, but I don't have any. :dizzy:

I emailed the 5th grade sped teacher, so we'll see what kind of answers I get from her as well.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2012

I think that with the common core and RtI, you may begin to see more self-contained or pull out classes with struggling students.

I would plan to do many things in small groups as your students will need more reteaching of skills. Begin the year working on independence because so many students in special education struggle with being independent in the classroom.

I would plan your day so that it matches up well with another teacher on the team. You never know when one of your students can be pushed out for a class to start to move them more into their LRE.

10. SeaOtter

SeaOtter New Member

Jul 22, 2012

I am a self-contained teacher for 6th graders. I'm planning to do just what Mopar suggested, and have mostly small group activities and individual folder/basket work. I will have some whole class activities and lessons, science/cooking and teacher read aloud.

I talked with my students' former teacher and she really stressed individual work.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 22, 2012

That makes a little bit more sense, but still seems strange consider most of the "norms" in CPS. Then again, norms are not always norms. :). I teach preschool as I've said before, so my ECSE world is so so so removed from the big kids and what happens with them. I'm fine with that :) (as long as they don't threaten to close our program on a weekly basis, which is the norm).

I think how it works at my school with the older kids is that some children are out in the "resource room" while some remain their all day and one teacher does push in with the others. Though I don't often have time to talk to those above the primary level. So this is just what I think happens.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

Okay, I am feeling better. Talked to many new colleagues today and I got my hands on IEPs. They vary from 1st-3rd reading levels. They are in the 1st percentile for all our national assessments. There is no WAY they are accessing 6th grade curriculum any time soon, but at least I am thankful they can use some of my 2nd/3rd resources. I was gonna give all that stuff away! :eek:

I did some major planning today. SO EXCITED!

13. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

I had kids on a similar level. You can modify the regular curriculum to some degree. For example, when the typical sixth graders learn about characteristics of life, you can do "living vs. non-living." You will use a lot of your 2nd-3rd grade resources! PM me with any questions. You will love it.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 26, 2012

I'm not as worried about science and social studies....or reading, really. I can use the 6th grade common core units with a lower chapter book. But I don't know what to do about math. They're still gonna see things like multiplying fractions on the state test and their end of year assessment tells me they don't actually know what fractions ARE let alone how to multiply them. I would very happily just teach a strange mesh of 3rd-5th grade math, but that wont help them out come ISAT time. I really need to analyze common core from 3rd-6th and figure out how it builds and what I can teach.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 26, 2012

What do their most recent educational evaluations say? That may be a better indicator of their levels (i.e. I would fail most standardized tests but performed well in the classroom)

16. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 26, 2012

Do you have access to SSM yet? You can also look at their progress over time- I think you can see IEPs for the last three or so years. I believe we started online with 09-10, but some areas had it earlier and some later.