Self-contained classroom

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by liz, Jul 30, 2005.

1. liz

liz Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

Hey--just wondering:
    Anyone out there teach self-contained classes for emotionally disabled primary-aged students????
    I was wondering what your class size is this year and how many paraprofessionals you have?
    I have 7 students so far and the district gave me 4 paras ( one is assigned to a specific student--the others are general paras in my classroom).
    My problem has been that we can't get people to apply for the para positions (tough job). I have no paras to start the school year. I'm having nightmares because the other ED center classes in the district are only assigned 2 paras. Are they going to load me up with students this year???????
    Thanks for listening---
    liz

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 30, 2005

I worked as a para this past year with a child that has emtional and behavioral needs. We don't have self contained classes any more here in Maine. Though if the student needs to be in the special ed room most of the time it is worked into the IEP.
    When does your school year start? I won't start to worry yet about not havign any aides. A lot of times college grads with a degree in el ed who can't find a teaching position will take a para job at the last min.

The teacher I work with has 12 on her case load. She has five one on ones paras for her students that need them, and one para in the classroom at all times.

4. liz

liz Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

The kids start on the 15th of August. Last year I was unable to fill the positions. As you know, this isn't a job for someone just looking for a job--you have got to love it and have some skills.
    We still have self-contained classrooms here in Denver but the kids are soooo severe. They are day treatment type kids. I only had one that was able to mainstream last year.

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 31, 2005

When I taught in an ED room with 6 students (grades 4-6), I only had one paraprofessional in the room. The same was true with the primary ED class. We were only required to have one para. Maybe things have changed since I have an ED room 5 years ago. It is a difficult position to have and really does take a toll on people. Sorry to hear about not being able to fill in the positions. Could you ask your administrators if you could look into part-time staff (college students who have not finished their degrees but are looking into teaching)? Good luck.

6. liz

liz Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Good idea!
    Working in my room is a great learning experience. I have been at it for 19 years or so and I can say I kind of know what I'm doing.
    Wish me luck filling my positions.
    Thanks.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 31, 2005

Liz, you might advertise at your local colleges if your principal says it's a go.. I SO would have done something like that in college if I could have made it work with my schedule! Even if it's half-time people (accomodating morning or afternoon classes, or several days a week)... what a vgreat experience for everyone!

8. liz

liz Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I'll run it past her when she gets back in town....thanks