self-contained classroom legal questions

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kit_kate27, May 3, 2016.

1. kit_kate27

kit_kate27 Rookie

May 3, 2016

Hi! Just a few questions...

Legally, how many students are permitted to be in a self-contained "autistic" classroom? (I would like specific to NJ but if you have any pertinent information that would be great as well).
    Also, what is the legal age range between students in a self-contained classroom? Is it 36 or 48?

Thanks!

3. bros

bros Phenom

May 4, 2016

This might be out of date, but http://www.nj.gov/education/specialed/memos/082707age.pdf states the age range is 4 years, so 48 months.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/code/current/title6a/chap14.pdf

6A:14-4.7(e) states for autism:
    A program for students with autism shall maintain a student to staff ratio of three to one. For a secondary program, two classroom aides are required when the class size exceeds six students.

Also, when determining whether a classroom aide is required, students with a personal aide shall not be included in the student count.

The cap seems to be 9 students - if a district wants to exceed that, they must have written approval from the DoE.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 4, 2016

Our ratios are written right on the students' IEPs. It might vary but our limit is 3 years between the ages of students unless we are given a variance by the state.

5. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 6, 2016

Here in Florida there is no official cap as long as the 3 to 1 ratio is met which is written in there IEP. To make it more complicated some students don't have that 3 to 1 (such as students who have general education classes.) I am working with 13 students and 3 staff. I wish their was a cap. Even with adequate staff and some going out for gen Ed classes 13 is a handful at times! I'm grateful I have a large classroom!

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 11, 2016

This makes me so angry. I've had up to 15, and no aide until January. Even now, she's pulled often. I should probably have 2 aides.