self-contained 6th grade MUSTS

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by USCgrad, Aug 4, 2010.

1. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Aug 4, 2010

I just took a new job as a 6th grade everything teacher...

med/low students...

What are things I must, must, must try....do......etc.??????

I taught 5th in private last year and felt my way through...this is 6th public and am quite honestly, scared!

I do, however, plan to do a morning work routine that I plan to start saving and displaying on the smart board....perhaps, a question of two from each subject that reviews our weekly idicators/objectives...

Please share what you have done that has been wonderfullly wonderfully great for both you and your students...

TIA...

3. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I would say that the things you must do would be the things required by your district.

Start with the standards and benchmarks. Find out if they have any time requirements for how long you should spend on any given subject during the day. What curriculum do they have? Are you expected to teach in a certain way, or is there flexibility (it would be great if you could talk to another sixth grade teacher in your district if you're the only one in your building - ask your principal for a reference).

Once you have a better idea of what is expected of you, make a consistent schedule for the day. Starting with morning work is a great routine that works well for me as well. Then, start working on your lesson plans.

Also, find out if your building has a management system that every teacher is expected to use, or if you are allowed to create your own. Write out all of your procedures/expectations for behavior in your classroom. Then share those expectations with your new students and their parents.

4. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I think your situation will probably turn out more similar to your last assignment than you might think. You already have experience. Your morning work is a great "must" idea. I did a math skill drill or a fun brain teaser word problem each day. Kids loved the logical reasoning. As far as a schedule, I worked with my teammates to come up with one that worked well; and took into consideration specials times, lunch/recess, etc. You will love it!

I had an "art center" area where students could use the stapler, construction paper, etc. when needed. The possibilities are endless. Consider having your own classroom theme that goes with your name that will help you with decorating and unite the group.

I always enjoying having a "read aloud" time even for sixth graders. They do still like to be read to! Enjoy.

5. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Also, with sixth graders, a "free write" time in their personal journals once a week is a great way to get to know them better. I read them and commented something back, and it helps build a positive rapport quickly.