Self-Checkout at Grocery

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by rachaelski, May 31, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 31, 2009

I took a break from cleaning, and I went to the grocery store to get something from the deli. I only had 2 items, so I went to the self-checkout. My total was around 9 dollars. I insert a 5 dollar bill, and then a dollar. Suddenly it says the transaction is complete. The computer screen says my change is 45 dollars. Somehow the computer read my dollar as a 50! I stood there for a moment, considering my moral dilemma. First thought, give it back it's not mine. Then I got very "robin hood" and thought this is a big regional chain. They can stand to lose that money. Well, I give the money back to the clerk. I think it was the right decision. One step closer to earning my way to heaven, I guess.

What would you do and why?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 31, 2009

Are you sure you didn't put in a $50?? I would have been nervous about losing the 45 bucks LOL

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 31, 2009

I don't ever have cash with me. I broke a 20 and had 9 dollars left over. So unless the cashier accidently gave me a 50 instead of a dollar...

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 31, 2009

That was the right thing to do.
    I was an accountant for Kroger for 8 years. The cashier in charge of the USCAN check-out would have been written up if her till was short that much (even at the USCAN check-out). Anything over $10 is a write-up.
    If you have doubts over what bill you put in, ask the cashier. They can open the machine. It puts the bills in in order, so they can easily see what the last accepted bill was. I have had to do that many times, but usually, people were saying they put in a $20 when they only put in $1 :rolleyes:

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 31, 2009

giraffe, I am glad I gave the money back then! I don't remember the last time I have seen a 50, let alone had one in my possession! This incident happened at Kroger too!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 31, 2009

The stores that I visit that have self-checkouts are Ralphs & Home Depot. I use them & like them!

Regarding getting back the $45, that's nice that you did that, however, others will consider it a gift from God & keep going! :)

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

I live near you and would like to know which Kroger. ;)

Kidding.

You absolutely did the right thing.

I thought this post was going to be a rant about self-checkouts, though. Every single time I use one I have a problem and the cashier has to come help me multiple times. It's always telling me I put too many items on the belt or telling me to wait for assistance for no apparent reason. I hate those things!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 31, 2009

You definitely did the right thing. As Giraffe said the cashier would have been written up for a difference that big (or where I cashiered we called it an audit) and after a few of those you can get into real trouble.

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 31, 2009

i love self check lanes...i don't like dealing with cashiers

i would have given the money back...karma

11. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 31, 2009

I love self-checkout!! I would have given the money back too, if I was absolutely sure they were wrong. If there was a chance I put in that big of a bill, then I would have talked to a manager about it.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 31, 2009

You did the right thing. God's not going to give you a gift at the expense of someone else.

Good for you!

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 31, 2009

You did the right thing! Let your conscience be your guide. Or, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. :)

I would have done the same thing too...I really believe if I had been in your position and taken the money; one day...it would come back on me...I'd be paying for it somehow...maybe more!

14. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

You did the right thing. I always say, what goes around comes around and I wouldn't want someone cheating me. Just last week my husband went to a warehouse to buy 6 containers of juice for a slush machine for my sons graduation party. He paid for it at the main desk and they told him to go around to the back to pick up his order. Well they wheeled out 6 cases and my husband just thought wow, the containers are big (yes he should have realized right away the mistake) and when he got home he saw they gave him 6 cases of containers of the stuff and not just 6 containers. So he called me at work and asked me what he should do. Duh....call the place back and tell them about the mistake! MEN! So he did and they are going to come and pick up the extras. I can't be dishonest at the sake of someones mistake!

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 31, 2009

That's tough. I will admit, one time, I went through the self checkout at a Walmart and somehow we didn't scan a rather expensive dog kennel. I handed it to my dh to scan, and he thought I already had-anyway, it truly was an honest mistake. Plus we were buying groceries and a bunch of stuff that added up to over $200, so I didn't realize the price difference. When we got home, I looked at the receipt and realized what we had done, BUT we live over an hour from a Walmart. I intended to go back sometime, but never did. I felt so guilty, because we had essentially stole it. Sigh...

16. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

May 31, 2009

Without a doubt, give it back. It's not mine!

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 1, 2009

I also love self-checkout, but only when I have a few items. I know you did the right thing--I agree with the karma idea. i went to a garage sale once at a retirement community and bought a cute wallet for .50. We got in the car and drove off and I opened it to find $60 in it. Well, we went back to return it to the lady and she snatched and said "Thanks" and turned away. I was so mad that she wasn't even nice about it that I thought maybe I should have kept it! Oh,well.

18. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

Darn!

It's hard doing the right thing, isn't it?

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

Of course you did the right thing. I would have had that same moment...haha.

Speaking of self check-outs, those things always give me trouble! I always think, oh ya I'll beat the line and self check my stuff...ya, I'm always there longer!

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2009

I would have considered it a test from God, and gave it back.;)

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 3, 2009

So true, a person will always be blessed for doing the right thing!