Self-Care...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by i.heart.trees, Jul 22, 2020.

1. i.heart.trees

i.heart.trees Rookie

Jul 22, 2020

I am a second year teacher who hasn't yet developed a set of self-care strategies that come with experience. The pandemic adds another layer to this to my anxiety about the school year coming up, despite my strategy of not speculating and using the time to rest up. I am asking for a list of things that work for you in terms of self-care in general. I appreciate any responses and many thank yous in advance. Also, is there anything that your school or team has done to help promote self-care?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 22, 2020

We have really focused on mental health and self care with our students. We did a lot of checking in with kids through phone calls and emails to make sure they were okay. We sent out self care items on our school FB page.

I’m on year 28, and last year was a struggle for me. I don’t bring work home, so suddenly having to work from home was hard. It took me about a week to develop boundaries for myself. I had to make dedicated work space and office hours.

I also do things like get massages and pedicures and manicures. I wasn’t able to do those things, so it was hard. I did finally get my eating on track. I ate crap for awhile. Gained weight. Now I’m counting calories, and I’m down 20 Pounds which makes me feel better.

I’m also a list maker. It helps me to write down what has to be done and categorize my must do, should do, can do eventually. Helps with being overwhelmed.

i.heart.trees likes this.
  4. i.heart.trees

i.heart.trees Rookie

Jul 22, 2020

Thanks, Ima Teacher!

5. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jul 23, 2020

It may sound silly, but having nice school/office supplies makes me feel good. I don't go crazy and buy expensive Erin Condren planners or the like, but having nice gel pens, notebooks, folders, etc makes some of the more tedious record keeping stuff a bit more enjoyable.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2020

Make yourself an "off of work" routine to set your mind into the mindset you are done for the day. Commuting home was one for many people (who stayed a bit late at school to finish up). Find that dividing line. Then find something that relaxes you and add it to your "off of work" routine. It doesn't have to be big, it just has to give you some joy and be confined enough of a task that it doesn't suck up the time you need for other things which causes other anxiety.

i.heart.trees, bella84 and otterpop like this.
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2020

A group of friends (all are current or former colleagues) and I have a text chain. We check in with each other every day and chat off and on throughout the day, sharing funny stories and pictures and providing support whenever one of us needs it. Some days we talk a lot and other days it's just a, "Good morning! Have a great day!" That little bit of social interaction is something we all look forward to.

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 23, 2020

I have the Calm app for meditation and helping me fall asleep. It’s wonderful, and I got a free lifetime subscription because I’m a teacher. I’d imagine they still do that but you’d have to google it. I use it mostly for the Sleep tracks and find that they really do help me sleep. That goes with self care for me, because sleep hugely impacts my mood and motivation levels.

i.heart.trees and bella84 like this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 23, 2020

Self-care can be anything as long as you're taking time for yourself to do things for YOU. You need to take time out of the day to stop doing things for others sometimes and do something for yourself that makes you happy, calm, etc. Sometimes I will order some fun bath bombs, print off cool coloring pages, grab a book and a snack and go somewhere quiet, work on a puzzle, or just find a new recipe for a yummy coffee beverage that I haven't tried before. Most things you can do for yourself are inexpensive or free like just taking a walk somewhere quiet with calming views.

i.heart.trees and Caesar753 like this.
  10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2020

I start my morning with anywhere from 15-60 minutes of yoga, every day of the week, and I also get up early enough to afford myself the opportunity to move slowly in the morning.

I try to create a structure or routine for myself in the morning and in the evening. There are times when I can't always stick to it and have to make an adjustment, but it generally helps. I then just move through my routine without having to do much thinking. I know what time I wake up, do yoga, pack lunch, leave the house etc. in the morning, and I know what time I clean up, take care of household tasks, get ready for bed, and get in bed in the evening. During times of high-stress, I often notice that I've let that structure slide. Once I get back on track, my anxiety and stress often go down.

I use an online to-do list app that helps me to keep track of tasks that I need to accomplish, and I frequently rearrange the tasks. This takes the burden of remembering off of me, and it gives me a sense of control over when I do all of the things that I need to do.

Finally, something that has been really difficult for huge for me is to get off of social media. It wastes so much of my time and often leads to anxiety. So, while I still access it, I try to keep it limited to certain times of day and only certain platforms, groups, or people.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 23, 2020

Sunday nights are at-home spa nights. I relax in the tub, do a face mask, etc. I also work out every morning before school to relieve stress.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2020

I love books and trash TV.

13. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Jul 24, 2020

Here are some things I do to calm my anxiety and rest/relax (I have general anxiety normally and the pandemic has just made it worse):

-ASMR videos on YouTube. I just started watching these a few years ago, and they really help me relax. Some people hate them, and you have to find which triggers you like, but if you've never tried it, you might consider it. I usually watch an hour every night before bed and it gets me into a calm state of mind for sleep.

-Yoga/stretching especially with the lights down low and soothing music on

-Getting out in nature for a quick walk in my neighborhood or a hike at a forest preserve if I have more time

-Playing with my dog

-Reading on my back patio (or even just sitting out there with coffee and listening to the birds, doing nothing)

-Painting my nails while listening to a podcast I like

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 24, 2020

What are ASMR videos?

I forgot to mention doing my nails too. I use Color Street nail strips and every Sunday night I listen to my audiobook and do my nails. It usually only takes about 15 minutes but I have started using cuticle oil and some lotions so sometimes it takes longer. I tell my husband during that time I can't do anything for him or get anything for him. He can fend for himself during that time because it's ME time.

15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 24, 2020

I’m definitely in the dislike ASMR category! I also have anxiety. But I’m glad it relaxes you and others! I like turning on a YouTube video with a nature scene and New Age music or nature sounds on the tv if I want some relaxing background noise. Like I said before, I like meditation tracks too, and my husband finds them irritating. I find them very peaceful. Different things work for different people! :)

16. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 24, 2020

The easiest way to understand ASMR is probably to search YouTube. Basically it’s quiet sounds or speaking/whispering. There are a lot of different kinds. Some people find it very relaxing.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 24, 2020

I don't think I'd like that . Sounds creepy!

18. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Jul 25, 2020

There are lots of different kinds. Basically ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) is that feeling you get when you might hear or feel something pleasant and you get tingles down the back of your spine. Some people never get it; others get it frequently. But even if you don't get that "tingly" feeling from the videos all the time, many people use them to relax or help them sleep if they suffer from insomnia. I know others use them to help with their anxiety (me) or depression.

Some videos are just "trigger" videos like tapping on items, scratching on items, etc. Some are softly talking while doing something like a doctor's appointment or doing your nails. There are also some videos on YouTube marked as unintentional ASMR because the person who created maybe isn't an ASMRtist but people have found it gives them that response unintentionally. If you want to see a sample of what it's all about, here are some ASMR channels I recommend: Gentle Whispering, Gibi ASMR, Creative Calm ASMR, ASMR Glow.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 25, 2020

Bob Ross is also a good ASMR video. I sleep to his videos a lot. Whispery voice. Scratching of the paint brush on canvas. Other ASMR gives me the creeps. The Calm app has several selections.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 27, 2020

You know what kind of videos I find relaxing? The ones where someone is making a cake. Like, the really fancy ones with fondant and all different decorations. I just love watching them..

otterpop likes this.
  21. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 27, 2020

I like watching cooking videos. They are relaxing in their simplicity! It’s easy to get caught up in a YouTube auto-play tunnel haha.