SEI Frustration! (Arizona only, I think)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2008

OKAY the state of Arizona requires all SEI kids to have four hours of instruction with the SEI teacher. Basically, that's our entire day (without specials and lunch). Last I heard they are removing the SEI kids from our class lists, and putting them in self contained SEI classes. The "transitional" SEI kids only require two hours, but I don't know what is going to happen with them, the principal said she'll tell us soon so I don't think she knows yet either! But I think the SEI kids are going to be in our classrooms for the first couple weeks anyway so the SEI teachers can test them. I HATE that idea because they'll be a part of our class community and then yanked out. Ugh.

Mostly, I'm upset because I don't think it's right. It's like segregation. Kids who are learning English are not going to learn English as well as they would being surrounded by English speakers! That social language comes before the academic! And why did they make all the teachers get SEI endorsements if we aren't going to be teaching SEI kids anyway? Since we get more and more SEI kids each year in our state, I think all teachers should be "SEI" teachers and the principals should just require all teachers to teach the SIOP model and use SEI strategies. Sure, a little more work for the teachers but I think that's what's best for our kids!

I guess the silver lining is that I'm going to have about four less kids in my class, which is going to be AMAZING!

3. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

We tested our SEI kids at the end of last year, so they will be placed directly in the SEI classroom. I haven't heard anything about transitional students. I don't agree with segregating the Spanish speaking kids out of the room.

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I'm not sure how this is working at my school. There was supposed to be three SEI teachers ... 1-3, 4-6, K 7-8 (why the 7/8 teacher would be teaching kinder to is beyond me). Then they cut the SEI teachers down to one. Then we were told at the end of the year that we wouldn't have an SEI teacher period. Why they're making us go through all this SEI training to get this additional endorsement, only to pull them out for a huge chunk of the day, makes no sense to me.

5. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

Is it possible that you did not have any ELL students?

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Our school has ELL students. There aren't many but I know that we have them. There is a teacher in each grade level that is assigned to have them.

7. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I hear your frustrations... I had to sit through a 45 hour class this summer to get my endorsement. My school is doing a pull out program and most ELL students are assigned to one teacher in each grade. I do have one student, but he is intermediate.

I'm sure people will complain and things will change as they always do!! :huh:

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 31, 2008

I guess they are pulling out all the SEI kids and putting them in SEI self contained classes. But then, that will make the regular class sizes uneven and so they'll have to move around some of the other kids. In May we did "clustering" which means one teacher is the gifted cluster teacher, one is special ed, the others are regular, and there is a certain amount of high, average, and low students each teacher gets. We worked really hard to figure this out, along with behavior issues and ELL and Speech, and now it's going to be messed up! Grrr. I already labeled everything, did name tags, gave my students numbers. I want to send my postcards! Okay I'm going to stop complaining and go to school and see if anything is new. Really it will all work out. It seems like every year there is something that throws us through a loop. At least we'll have smaller class sizes. That is something that will benefit kids at least!