Seeking subbing tips

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Bobbimarie, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Bobbimarie

Bobbimarie Guest

Sep 13, 2003

Hi everyone,
    I am seeking some sage advice.
    In your experience, does it help for someone who has the desire to teach, but not the classroom experience to sub?

If yes...
    1 - If you could design the ideal sub, what qualities would that person have?
    2 - What qualities would make a principal/staff want to add that person to their team full-time?
    3 - On the flip side, what are some big blunders/horror stories you have experienced with subs?

If no, do you have any suggestions on another route I can take?

Background: I completed a state-approved alternative teaching certification program last December and passed the two state tests with flying colors. I have not yet found a full-time teaching position. I've been told by the principals I've interviewed with that I interviewed just fine and I seem like a good candidate, but my lack of experience is the problem. The HR dept also cited "No Child Left Behind" as being a barrier; that they must go with experience first, so fewer folks first-year/wanna-be teachers like me can get on board.
    HR's advice is to "hang in there" as soon as all the experienced candidates are placed they can allow in more first-year candidates.
    That didn't give me a warm-fuzzy. I feel like I'm caught in a Catch 22 -- can't get a job without experience; can't get experience without getting a job.

3. SusanBU

SusanBU Rookie

Sep 13, 2003

I was exactly like you last yr. I did the alternative certification route, but in the spring I chose to sub in order to get my foot in the door and get a little experience. This fall, I started my first yr of teaching. I would definitely recommend subbing, it lets the principals get a chance to know you, and it will give you an idea of what to expect in a classroom. A lot of my classmates in my alternative certification program found jobs through subbing. Subbing doesn't fully prepare you for what lies ahead, but it gives you a chance to practice classroom mgt, and lets you see some ideas on how to arrange your classroom, lesson ideas, etc. Good luck!

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 13, 2003

My ideal sub would actually follow my lesson plans. When I know in advance that I'm going to be out I leave DETAILED plans. I've come back to find that the sub did none of the work that I left (I always leave extra) and the kids where allowed to goof off. (I teach kinder). Last fall I went to a 5 day workshop, it was a building sub who knew the routine but she still allowed them to talk in the hall & run wild. She also title all of my kids "KING___" or "Queen___" She even put it on some of their folders!! As it was the principal daughter I couldn't complain.

5. DMR

DMR Rookie

Sep 13, 2003

I subbed while completing my degree. I recommend it for getting experience, but don't count on it getting you a job, but it could get you some much needed references. You should follow the plans to a "T" if possible. Do not let the kids walk all over you because it looks bad. Do not talk about the kids or other staff while you are there. Show up early, do your job and leave a note for the teacher. Always leave your phone number so if the teacher has any questions they can call you. I never had one call me regarding questions but to ask me to come back.

I was hired the year I graduated so the experience was helpful. I did not get hired in the district I subbed for because there were no openings. The experience was what counted though, my first year of teaching was a "breeze" because I had stepped into so many situations that I could relate back to them when needed. I also am older (38) and have two kids of my own and that helps with knowing how children operate. Kids like structure so follow the rules.

Oh, and a piece of candy at the end of the day does wonders for their behavior:) Let them know in the beginning that you have a treat if they behave and they will put on their best behavior almost immediately. Have an assorted bunch to choose from so that the kids with braces and the few who do not like tootsie rolls have a choice also. I hope this was helpful. The world needs good subs!

6. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Sep 13, 2003

Subbing is a great way to get your foot in the door. When I have a sub in my room, I appreciate it when they stick to the plans I have left. Try not to let the kids take advantage of you to do things that the teacher doesn't normally let them do. Don't pull out manipulatives or books she hasn't left out. I hate it when I return to find out a book that I had been saving for a special lesson was read by a sub. If you have to disicipline a child (writing the name on the board or whatever), don't undo it at the end of the day. I have had children that are cronic behavior problems that a sub will put their name on the board and then remove it. Also, I really appreciate it when a sub leaves some sort or note as to how the day went--behavior, what was finished etc.

I got my first job after subbing for a year. I got many ideas about how i wanted to do things and how I didn't.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2003

I got my job in a private school after subbing frequently over a 6 month period. I made sure they knew that I loved the school and the kids. I did all the assigned work and more. They were impressed that I could handle so many different grades and subjects. It was the right place for me and I wanted in!

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 13, 2003

Subbing is a great way to get your feet wet teaching. It allows you to try different grades (I just knew that I wanted to teach kindergarten until I was a 2 week sub in a class. After that I knew I wanted to go older.) It lets you learn from your mistakes and gets you connected with lots of schools. What I look for most in a sub is someone who can and will control my class, make them work, and most importantly leave me a message about what happened during the day. Make sure that you leave the room as neat as you found it. While you are in a school meet as many teachers as you can and let them know you are available for subbing. Let them have a face to put with the name.
    Good luck!!
    Christy

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 13, 2003

3100 positions

Many schools can hire substitutes for up to a certain number of consecutive days. Once they pass that point, the school must pay them differently as a thirty one hundred or permanent substitute position.The postition is only the substitutes until the close of the school year. This happens alot since some teachers get into accidents, are suddenly ill or need to leave to take care of an ill family memeber, or a woman who is required to be on maternity leave. The school is not obligated to hire you at the beginning of the school year again because the position was only temporary. They would hire you if you did a great job and if the position was available.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 14, 2003

I subbed for a year before finding a teaching job. However, I did not get my teaching job as a result of subbing. But, I thought subbing was a great experience and it helped me see what kind of grade levels I liked and I got a taste of each grades curriculum. I also spent that year collecting ideas and lesson plans. I also saw different discipline plans and was able to adapt them and make them my own. You can also get a sense of what "type" of school you'd like to work in when you do get a permanent job and get to know the "parent" clientel. Good luck!

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2003

I subbed while finishing college and a year and a half after graduating....Luckily, now have a job at the school that I subbed for!!! I agree it really creates openings, lets you get a glimpse into each level and curriculum. Subbing allowed me to see that I wanted 3rd and under.

My biggest subbing tips are leave the room how you found it, plus some if you can (ie correcting items that are right or wrong, such as math), Always leave a note, and bring fun extras. I always had a word search or something like that for students who were done to get. There are tons of sites if you just search for word puzzles or word searches. There's one called thepotters.com or something like that... I'll look around. That has tons of different word searches for the older kids.

Good Luck!!!