Seeking Out of State Job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chasisaac, Apr 9, 2012.

1. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Apr 9, 2012

I would like to find a job say, ever 1000 miles away from where I am at.

Is there a better way to get a job, I really cannot go to an interview. Is it pointless to even try?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 9, 2012

I think you have to be willing to travel to wherever you are applying. I know a lot of schools and districts will conduct phone or skype interviews, but it's likely that you will eventually have to go there for a second interview, demo lesson, or something else. I am not applying out of state, but since CA is a big state I am applying to districts up to 500 miles or so from where I currently live. I know going in that I am willing to take off work and drive up there if I need to. It's definitely hard to afford that on my paraprofessional hourly pay with my husband currently way underemployed as well, but it's worth it, and my car gets great gas mileage, so I guess it could be worse.

I'd pick a radius you feasibly COULD travel to, and search within that.

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Apr 9, 2012

Your certification may play a role in how attractive you are to schools in another state. Are you already certified in the state you want to work in? If not, you may want to look into that.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2012

I got hired over the phone out of state. My P said she knew within 5 minutes of talking to me that she wanted me for the job and didn't need to see me in person. However, as a previous poster said make sure you have that state's certification. They are unlikely to consider you otherwise.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2012

I also got hired over the phone and out of state. I had only done phone interviews and never visited the school or the city/state where the school was located.

Don't be afraid to ask for phone or Skype interviews. I'd say that it's probably a very common request these days.

I agree with others about being licensed in the state you want to teach.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2012

The OP is from the Upper Midwest. There aren't very many districts up there, and the districts that do exist are very small. I think that it would be a much better and financially viable option to search everywhere, interview over the phone or Skype, and only travel to schools late in the interview process.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 9, 2012

That makes sense. I meant be willing to travel late in the interview process - I guess I must have misunderstood the OP and thought they'd NEVER be able to travel for an interview at any point in the process. MANY schools/districts in my state require demo lessons as part of the interview process, so you'd have to travel there at some time...must be a regional thing, I guess. :)

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 9, 2012

I did a Skype interview, and after I was hired, I had to fly in and sign my contract in person. I had already applied for and received the state license and that helped a lot.

10. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

Apr 9, 2012

I agree with Caesar that obtaining the out of state license or putting 'in progress' is going to get you further than simply not applying for it (you'll need it anyways). The sad fact is that there are too many teachers.

This due to every college pumping out as many education majors and credentials as possible (for money of course) in addition to every for profit university trying to sign up everyone and their mother to obtain a degree. Sometimes I wish getting a degree were not so easy, because I think it encourages too many people into a limited job marketplace that cannot accommodate them. Sorry I got sidetracked...

I any event, good luck! I think expanding your search can only help your chances...especially in rural areas.

11. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Apr 9, 2012

I was just recently offered a job after a phone interview with a district 2000 miles away! It happens!

12. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Apr 9, 2012

Wow, thanks all I have hope. I am in SD. and there are few districts and so far I am looking upto about 125 miles away. There are a number of people who rent apts / rooms and drive home on weekends up here.

As far as certs go, I have Social Studies, and I am applying in ones that will allow me to add via Praxis I have MS Scinece and taking MS Math. So NC is near top of list. I want ocean again. I am also looking at MO. I am thinking of MS, LA, TN, and KY. I used to live in KNoxville TN

13. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 10, 2012

I love the south. In Mississippi, if you have a standard license in South Dakota you most likely will have no problem getting a standard license here. It's not expensive as it is some other states (example Florida...it was over 100 dollars for them to even look at everything and tell me what steps I needed to do to obtain a license) Ms does allow you to add certs by praxis. Math would be a good one in my district.