Seeking math problems related to science

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bored of Ed, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2013

Web links would be ideal, but if you have a really good book to suggest I could handle that.

I have a number of students who are low in math and like science. The biggest struggle is getting them engaged. I would love a really good resource to find word problems based around scientific facts, particularly if you need to do the math to get the facts.

If I can't find something I'll work on making some up myself, but I won't have time to generate as many as I could use, so a resource would really help.

Grade levels are 4th (currently learning measurement, next up is fractions, need support generally) and 7th (all well below grade level in problem solving ability, working on expressions, equations, and inequalities but could use help in anything involving making math out of word problems. Next unit actually involves scientific notation but I consider that the least significant lesson as it's sandwiched between things that are going to be much more important for these students, which they have a hard time with - fractions, decimals, etc.)