seeking job while under "contract" what to say

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by abat_jour, Oct 2, 2014.

1. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 2, 2014

I work in a hostile work enviro and am thinking of leaving at the semester. I am applying to some private school jobs and long term subs. Do I say I am currently employed? How to handle?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2014

You need to say you are currently employed and they will ask if they can contact your present employer.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2014

Lying on an application is not worth it. Be honest and explain your situation.

5. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 3, 2014

I wasn't planning to lie. I just don't know how to explain why I want to get out because you can't believe how dysfunctional the district is unless you are in it.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2014

The best diplomatic phrase is, "The school was not a good fit for me." If asked to go further, do your best to explain without throwing verbal poo.

7. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 3, 2014

thanks. So I put it on my resume?

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2014

Absolutely, as the sin of omission could come back to bite you.

9. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 3, 2014

do I ask for a letter of recc from my current school?

10. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 3, 2014

what do i put in my email cover letter

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2014

I can't imagine your current school would give you a good recommendation, especially if they know how you feel about them. You never know who may be lurking on these boards.

12. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Oct 3, 2014

Although it could depend on if you are planning on returning to the school second semester in the event you find nothing, I would wait until a new school wants references before telling my current school.

As for what to put in my cover letter, I would keep writing about leaving the current job brief. I would blame leaving on something like wanting to be closer to family.

13. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 4, 2014

I guess I am seeking information about how to go about leaving a position; the necessary "ducks" you must line up. Someone on the forum has to have information worth sharing.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2014

Chances are area districts will know of your school's toxic climate. Put your current position on your resume and use letters of rec from prior history for the time being. You can address why you are looking for a new position if and when you get an interview.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 4, 2014

I don't know what state you're in, but as far as being allowed to leave when under contract, I know in PA any pubic school can hold you for 60 days. If you leave sooner than that you risk losing your certification. It's up to each school to decide if they want to hold you to it or not. In my district I know various scenarios have happened - sometimes the person is held for 60 days, sometimes they're released within a day of giving notice (happened at my old school twice during my three years there), sometimes they're held until a replacement is found which usually takes 2-3 weeks for an "easy to fill" job like elementary. Depends on the job and the situation for the person leaving I guess.

Definitely have your current position on your resume, omitting it just won't make sense.

And I agree with Cza, chances are it's no secret you're in a tough district. I know around here if someone is working in Philly or Chester Upland no district that you'd be applying to would think twice about WHY you would be looking for a new position. Both districts are regularly in the news in regards to the challenges they are facing.

Not sure how much that helps as far as "getting your ducks in a row" but hope it helps a bit anyways.

16. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 5, 2014

Thanks; I am hoping to relocate to a different region altogether. My district is bottom 5% in the state I am in. It is so dysfunctional and hostile that I could never imagined a school to exist. If it were any other business it would be closed down.

17. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Oct 5, 2014

I would say that you are currently employed. You can always say you were relocating to a different area. If your district is really at the bottom 5% that can almost look like a positive for you. I've known people who were in those types of districrs who were hired at the very best schools. Some schools see that as you are able to work with a tough crowd and that you've seen the worse! I just found out a guy who worked in one of the bottom 5 school district who just got hired at a district that is in the top 5 where I live. Good luck to you!

18. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Oct 7, 2014

thanks. I think I have to stay the whole year.

19. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Oct 9, 2014

Ask your union rep. I thought I had to stay the whole year also. The rep told me to talk to assistant super intendent.

She told me if I got a job somewhere else they would release me from my contract. Had I known this I would have the job I want in my hometown right now.

I intend to apply to my district of interest and use the do not contact option. Reason, any employer I have ever had that found out I was looking for a job did not like it and treated me differently afterwards.

Find out your district's position and then act.